5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

foxbody tough wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM
snakenayte

Unhappy foxbody tough wiring

Well I just swapped the motor from my 89 GT to my 90 GT, the wiring was different for some reason on my motor wiring harness so I pulled the ENTIRE dash out and swapped wiring harnesses. Still wont work. For some reason I have lights and tailights, but no brake lights and no blinkers. Also when the key is off and I turn on the lights I hear the fuel pump kick in. Any ideas??? Its really ticking me off. If I can fix it let me know. If its too complicated what is the bare minimum of wires I need for a street legal ride. Are there any tutorials on here to help. This is making me mad... grrrr... All help is appreciated.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why on earth did you swap wiring harnesses???? and yes I read you said it was different, either way if your motor was bad in the 90, the 89 would of swapped no problem..... and if there was a difference you only need use the long block of the 89....you just made a mole hill of a job into a cluster F MOUNTAIN of a job.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM
snakenayte

Well the car was an automatic so we went ahead and did a tranny swap too. I am not real sure what I did wrong but I hope to work on it again tomorrow. I have never seen the 90 model run so I am not sure if the wiring even worked on it. Anyway I am pretty positive the hard part is done. On the old wiring harness there was a round plug in the location on the picture that I did not have a match to. it was about as big around as a penny. There are 2 there that look very much alike. Any idea on what these are.?
THanks
Nayte
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2009, 10:28 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Did you think of running the motor before you swapped harnesses? Even doing a tranny swap there isn't much of a difference in that part of the harness to have needed to swap them. Sounds like you didn't connect your grounds in the rear for your brakes and turn signals. Did you check the bulbs to see if you might have blown them or not? Is that a pic of your motor?

90 started the air bags right? Hense the different body harness.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Man I think u f*ed up bad. I have swaped motors in a fox and converted to a 5spd. You did not need to change any of the wiring for the motor. Only the pig tail for the trans needed to be changed. I say put it back the way it was. Then move on.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Your first step should have come on here and ask some questions. I know it would be a pain in the *** but go back and start from stratch on the wiring. Swap them back over.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
snakenayte

okay i can do that... im gonna take a close up picture of the plug that the old harness did not have and post it on here... maybe we can figure out what it goes to... thanks guys
oh and by the way the car i am fixing did not have a motor in it when i got it... i bought it for real cheap only 400 bucks, anyway i just hope i can get it going tomorrow..
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Just a fyi because I made the same mistake with some wiring and found out the harnesses are pinned different for the bodies. You have to do some cutting and moving and jumping wires and such. Not hard but not fun!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:33 PM
snakenayte

Hey ACE do you know where I need to start to figure out if I have this problem... Where did you get your info from? All the help is very much need and appreciated.
Nayte
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM
cholericfc
3rd Gear Member

You said you swapped trannys, from an AOD to manual...

Keep your AOD computer in, it'll work fine even though its a manual tranny in there. Your better off keeping the same computer in.

Last edited by cholericfc; 01-27-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Quick Reply: foxbody tough wiring