5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

best heads for the boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM
88bluethunder

Talking best heads for the boost?

So I got an 88 GT, 302 bored .40 over with a B-cam and an Edelbrock performer intake. The heads on it now are GT40P's and i'm currently having some lifter and pushrod issues and knowing there's better heads and cam's out there i was just goin to start over from scratch. New heads and more than likely a bigger cam. Now the question is i'm eventually gonna be puttin a turbo on this ***** and not only am i lookin for of course the best bang for my buck with these new heads and cam set, but i most definatly want the most power. Now i got a buddy thats been screamin AFR's are the greatest thing since the v8 was invented, but i've aslo heard some pretty deacent hype about trick-flow's products, and now i've been seeing all these things on Patriots. I know patriots are cheaper but is the extra 400$ worth it on the AFR's or Tricks?? plus i still gotta think about this cam set up. The size cam I would like would be compared i guess to that of an E-cam, If thats the best bet for the turbo?? So there it is.. let me what you guys think??
Old 01-25-2009, 12:03 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i made great power with the stock bottom end, AFRs and boost. got 461rwhp with the stock cam and 11psi from a vortech. if you plan to turbo it in the future, run an ecam or even better, an fcam. get a used set of afr165s, you can get them from corral any day of the week.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:29 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

....skip the ford cams there are better out there for only a few more bucks..really
Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

if you by some chance get the idea that procomps are, then...i know a guy
i am joking. twisted wedges have the biggest valves for clearing a stock piston. They have been o-ringed too.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 01-25-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

The AFR's or the Trick Flows will be fine. What kind of issues are you having with the P's.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I had excellent results with Edelbrock RPM heads....pull the B cam and get a custom grind SC bumpstick!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Like others said skip the ford cams. I had a lunati that I loved with the boost. Afr's are really great heads. I had them on my 5.0. But if your running a stock bottom end your gona want to go with twisted wedge heads. Comp makes some really nice boost cams. Take a look at thoes.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
88bluethunder

Originally Posted by Portmaster
The AFR's or the Trick Flows will be fine. What kind of issues are you having with the P's.

You actually posted on one of my previous threads about a month ago on this issue, i was the guy with the misterious lifters that were bigger than the OEM and colapsed,it also had bent pushrods. And i stil haven't made it around to fixin it. I'm in the military so i've been in and out of town a few times since then and haven't gotten the time. The heads themselves are fine, but i figured while i'll got it all apart and a few bucks to spend why not upgrade??? faster is always better imo...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 PM
88bluethunder

OK, Update... I came across a set of Twisted Wedge with TFS 1.6 roller rockers still on them and TFS Intake Track Heat with ARP Studs and Bolt and all the necessary gaskets and paid 1,350$ for the whole Shabang! now all thats left is a good Cam.... So like i said i wanna eventually slap a turbo on ol' betsy but it probably aint gonna be for a little while, so should i go with a TFS stage 2 cam which i might add is also available to me right now for cheep but used, or should i keep planning ahead for the boost and try to find a better suited cam for the power later on down the road?? Please, let me know what your thinking???
Old 01-29-2009, 08:59 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The TFS-2 is an awesome blower cam. It's cheap and works great. The TFS-1 is good as well. Although custom is the way to go, the TFS-2 should get you some real good numbers with a strong powerband.

Quick Reply: best heads for the boost?