5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Visually check for bad syncro's

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:19 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Question Visually check for bad syncro's

Can you visually tell if syncros are going bad or need to be replaced? The 93 I am getting saturday has a t5 sitting in it and the guy selling it said the previous owner told him that it needed new ones. I thought about just throwing it in the car and seeing how bad it does grind but I figured I would pop the top off and see what damamge there is. Yes it is a cheap rebuild for the most part but don't want to if it doesn't have to be done yet. trying to find other ways to spend my money after iraq
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

in all honesty if you have it that far apart to see the syncros rebuild it. hell in about an hour you can have it redone with it that far apart already. not hard at all to do. id like having the piece of mind knowing its ok as im stuffing it in. yikes that sounded dirty!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Yes, yes I could but that doesn't answer my question.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

if they are real bad yea youll be able to tell, sometimes they will grind like when grabbing 2nd but you take it apart and they look fine, its happened to me. if you heard that it needs syncros then it would be enough for me to replace em. if they are real bad theyll have gouges in the brass blocker rings, the edges of the teeth in the shape of a triangle will look beat up, if they are that bad pay close attention to the gears as well. normally the syncros take the brunt of the beating but when guys are ramming them into gear with bad syncros thats when the gears get screwed up. while your at it spin the input shaft and listen for any and i mean any bearing noise, if you hear it spinning it by hand rest assured its gonna howl like a banshee when you drive it.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by wrenchturner75
if they are real bad yea youll be able to tell, sometimes they will grind like when grabbing 2nd but you take it apart and they look fine, its happened to me. if you heard that it needs syncros then it would be enough for me to replace em. if they are real bad theyll have gouges in the brass blocker rings, the edges of the teeth in the shape of a triangle will look beat up, if they are that bad pay close attention to the gears as well. normally the syncros take the brunt of the beating but when guys are ramming them into gear with bad syncros thats when the gears get screwed up. while your at it spin the input shaft and listen for any and i mean any bearing noise, if you hear it spinning it by hand rest assured its gonna howl like a banshee when you drive it.
a 93 is a World class t-5 it won't have brass blocker rings except on 5th and don't you think it's kinda hard to tell if the tranny grinds if it's not in a car???......Justin if you pull the tailshaft housing off then the top you can visually inspect the sincronizer teeth on the gear hubs....if they are bad they will be mushroomed flat, pay attention to second and third gear, they take the most abuse.....as far as the blocker rings you can see the teeth but what you can's inspect is the friction surface withouttearing it apart
Old 01-30-2009, 11:55 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Thanks mjr, thats the answer I was looking for. Apparently, wrench boy up there didn't read the whole post. But thanks for the input wrench.

I get to pick up the car tomorrow morning so I will try to have some pics up and maybe some info about it. I might be able to pull the trans apart to inspect this weekend but I don't know. I deploy thursday so I have alot to do between now and then. I am hoping the thing has a set of gears and lower control arms already. That would be a great bonus.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

worn blocker rings

that gets pricey

thats only on 5th gear

new ones are sharp, if they are getting rounded off they are getting bad

blocker rings take the abuse and if they are worn the syncros then begin to get damaged.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM
wrenchturner75
2nd Gear Member

if the previous owner was informed that the trans may need new syncros i was assuming it was grinding, thats why the comment was made mjr
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if the previous owner was informed that the trans may need new syncros i was assuming it was grinding, thats why the comment was made mjr
no problem, I'm just clearing up the difference between blocker rings vs synchronizers