5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharged 347 or n/a 408?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

You want more power than you are willing to spend for it. If you want that kind of power and keep it reliable look to spend 10K at the very least from top to bottom, flywheel to balancer on the engine alone and thats if you strike up a few really good deals. When engine building you need to factor in every Nut and Bolt.

AS far as cost goes you won't spend that much more on a 408 than 347. The problem is you want 500 rwhp and build the entire drivetrain for 10K. I do all my own work and can't do it for that and use any kind of decent parts. You Have to figure in all the related parts that allow the engine to perform to it's best when you are adding up the cash. Like you can't have a 550 hp engine trying to pump out of a set of shorty headers. Best thing is to figure out how much money you want to spend and build as much power as you can for that amout of money. When you set your expectations way higher than you can afford to spend you will either end up with low quality parts or a car you can't afford to complete.

If I were you I would contact "Woodsy" here on this forum and see what he can build you. He has an excellant rep here and his prices are some of the best I've seen.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:20 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
You want more power than you are willing to spend for it. If you want that kind of power and keep it reliable look to spend 10K at the very least from top to bottom, flywheel to balancer on the engine alone and thats if you strike up a few really good deals. When engine building you need to factor in every Nut and Bolt.

AS far as cost goes you won't spend that much more on a 408 than 347. The problem is you want 500 rwhp and build the entire drivetrain for 10K. I do all my own work and can't do it for that and use any kind of decent parts. You Have to figure in all the related parts that allow the engine to perform to it's best when you are adding up the cash. Like you can't have a 550 hp engine trying to pump out of a set of shorty headers. Best thing is to figure out how much money you want to spend and build as much power as you can for that amout of money. When you set your expectations way higher than you can afford to spend you will either end up with low quality parts or a car you can't afford to complete.

If I were you I would contact "Woodsy" here on this forum and see what he can build you. He has an excellant rep here and his prices are some of the best I've seen.

I understand what you are saying. My eyes do seem to get bigger then my stomach alot lol. I have been incontact with woodsy, but he stop emailing me the other day. No biggie as I know he is a busy guy and I was reaming him with questions lol. My first idea was to go with my stock block and stroke it to a 347 and supercharge it but he quickly informed me that was not a good idea. Reason I am leaning toward supercharging is because i have seen good results with supercharging. I have seen 500 hp on supercharged engines quite often and it not break your wallet to bad. I figure building the engine myself piece by piece should shave off a good hunk of money. I have the people and resources to do the build so that is no biggie. Though I am new to fords. If I could stay n/a and have 500 rwhp with no spray I would be extemly happy. Like everyone else more is better. Thing is I have 10k plus or minus to spend on a engine rebuild/buy new t5, and make rest of drive trian strong enough. I think that is a good hunk of cash to start with. This is going to be a project happening over time also so more money can be saved. Though a nice 377 or 393 supercharged would be nice b/c I havent seen to many of those floating around. Seems like a nice median between a 408 a 347 yet reliable.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmh87chpnotch
I understand what you are saying. My eyes do seem to get bigger then my stomach alot lol. I have been incontact with woodsy, but he stop emailing me the other day. No biggie as I know he is a busy guy and I was reaming him with questions lol. My first idea was to go with my stock block and stroke it to a 347 and supercharge it but he quickly informed me that was not a good idea. Reason I am leaning toward supercharging is because i have seen good results with supercharging. I have seen 500 hp on supercharged engines quite often and it not break your wallet to bad. I figure building the engine myself piece by piece should shave off a good hunk of money. I have the people and resources to do the build so that is no biggie. Though I am new to fords. If I could stay n/a and have 500 rwhp with no spray I would be extemly happy. Like everyone else more is better. Thing is I have 10k plus or minus to spend on a engine rebuild/buy new t5, and make rest of drive trian strong enough. I think that is a good hunk of cash to start with. This is going to be a project happening over time also so more money can be saved. Though a nice 377 or 393 supercharged would be nice b/c I havent seen to many of those floating around. Seems like a nice median between a 408 a 347 yet reliable.
A N/A 500rwhp is a tall order. I have 580hp N/A at the Flywheel and I still won't get 500hp to the ground on my car and I'm an engine builder by trade. My engine has more tricks in it than a New York Whorehouse and I still have over 11,000 dollars in it. I do all my own porting, assembly and machine work. (not this block) and know where I can save and where I can't. The right Carb, the right intake if carbed or the right Intake, Injector and other computer related products if injected. The right headers, the right ignition, the right cooling system all has to be considered. You don't want to throw a 600hp engine on a factory radiator and things like that. Plus with that kind of power forget the T-5 tranny. I give it two passes with that kind of power. You have to factor in everything related and build the car as a whole from front to back and not just what goes under the hood. Even with the kind of power my engine makes my car is Overbuilt from the transmission to lug studs. I wouldn't be afraid to put 1200hp in my engine bay. If you want your car to last build it from rear to front.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:56 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
A N/A 500rwhp is a tall order. I have 580hp N/A at the Flywheel and I still won't get 500hp to the ground on my car and I'm an engine builder by trade. My engine has more tricks in it than a New York Whorehouse and I still have over 11,000 dollars in it. I do all my own porting, assembly and machine work. (not this block) and know where I can save and where I can't. The right Carb, the right intake if carbed or the right Intake, Injector and other computer related products if injected. The right headers, the right ignition, the right cooling system all has to be considered. You don't want to throw a 600hp engine on a factory radiator and things like that. Plus with that kind of power forget the T-5 tranny. I give it two passes with that kind of power. You have to factor in everything related and build the car as a whole from front to back and not just what goes under the hood. Even with the kind of power my engine makes my car is Overbuilt from the transmission to lug studs. I wouldn't be afraid to put 1200hp in my engine bay. If you want your car to last build it from rear to front.

I have the tranny and rearend in mind. Like mentioned before this isnt going to be something put together in a week. This a project, but for right now I want to know exactly what power I will be working with. I am researching a tranny and rearend set up as we talk. Main thing is wondering exactly what set up I will be going with first.

As far your car making that power n/a is very respectable. I just see supercharged cars making 500 rwhp easily with the right set up.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmh87chpnotch
I just see supercharged cars making 500 rwhp easily with the right set up.
Still have to have a solid engine and a good supercharger, fuel system etc stc.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Have you looked in to picking up some good used parts? that is a way to save a few bucks if you know what you are looking at or feel like you can trust the guys you are buying from. I got lots of my parts used and things have worked out good for me. used heads that need a valve job and used intakes or even use S/C I got my turbo used even I sent it to have it rebuilt horror story. it worked out in the end. Check out the NMRA boards for parts good parts sales and prices over there look for stuff close by that you can drive to get but be careful.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

i think your trying to build too much ive seen a 347 coupe on nitrous suspension tires ets got 9.42 with a 1.3 60ft what more do you want i mean if you street race 347 all motor would work with the right suspension.. idk what it is that your looking for street car track car you need some thing that you can drive on the street and something that you can race that wont go crazy up top swerving all over the place you need some thing consistent just my 2 cents.....if i were you ill build a 347 has to be a 5 speed to be streetable maybe even an automatic with the right stall would work and if your on a budget go carb yet again fi would be better
Old 02-06-2009, 07:01 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

If I go 347, what would a high compression 347 do power wise. Suspension I already have. Maybe compression in the 11's or 12's. Again the car is going to be very lightly street driven. Reason I wanted to go supercharged was b/c its a little easier on the motor on pump gas then high compression. And notrous kills motors especially a stock block or none aftermarket block.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

oh ok yea if its a track car then it should work at a track a track makes miracles for cars they dead hook lol
Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I went very mild on my 347, it gets about 16mpg, and makes just about 400hp

Quick Reply: supercharged 347 or n/a 408?