5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Can you help my friend.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:00 PM
House

Default Can you help my friend.........

Ok, I am not a ford guy, and don't realy know that much about tuning them. My advice was to get a Mopar :-). But anyway, my friend has a 93 5.0 auto with the fallowing mods

4;10 gears in a 8.8 rear
Underdrive pulleys
BBk Cold air intake
Summit cold air tuned 24lb injector mass air flow sensor 75mm
65mm summit throttle body
Direct fit alumminum radiator
Hooker Super comp headers
Dyno max exhost with H-Pipe
85 am Alternator
24LB injectors (ford racing)
Custom trans w/cheetah valve body/ shift kit
New summit water pump
190* Thermastat
Nitto SSSR Extreme Drag Radials

Fallowing are stock

Intake manifold
Stock heads
Pistions
Cam
Rockers
Ignition

The motor has aprox 190K on it

The problem is that he is only running 14.4 in the 1/4 mile. I would think that he should be doing better than that personaly. I think that maybe he is running way to rich with his set up, and that he should get some computer tuning to see. He wants to get a Head/Intake/Cam combo later (I told him to go with edelbrock) so he doesn't want to get one now just to replace it later. I was thinking that he should get a set of Higher ratio roller rockers to replace the stock units. It would open the breathing a lot, and it would be a simple mod that he could reverse it if he got a wild cam later. I have used Harland Sharp in my Dodges with great sucsses, but was wondering what you in the Ford Compunity think of them. His Timing is set at factory, and I was thinking that he should advance it some. Whats a good target for fords??

Any other thoughts. Like I said he is a friend that I'm trying to help. I haven's seen the car yet so I only know what he wrote down about it.

Thanks

House
Old 02-08-2009, 08:14 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

He needs the h/c/i and then a tune. He has upgraded the air and fuel via the MAF, TB and injectors, but that's worthless with the stock intake and heads. Basically, the intake and heads don't complement the upgrades he has.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
House

hey, thanx for the replay. I'll let him know.

Later

House
Old 02-09-2009, 02:26 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

The AOD sokes up alot of power as well. Crane makes the 1.7 ratio roller rockers that came stock on the 93 Cobra Mustang.

Joe