5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Distributor Question...

Old 02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wowvfast
what's cheap?
msd isn't the only game in town..you pay 50 bux for those letters...I have used mallory as well...
This is absolutly correct. I'm using a mallory in mine for the simple fact I don't like the composite MSD. I like MSD stuff but some of the stuff is getting old and dated. I've used hundreds of 6AL boxes for example. It's a good unit but getting very dated and has a high current draw. I'm now using a Mallory 6AL that uses less current and has better performance, is cheaper and don't have to carry a box of pills with you. Mallory, Petronix and Summit brand ignitions are the same as well as the distributors. Want to get a good distributor for the money buy a Summit Brand unit. The only differance between it and the Mallory is the Summit comes in a plain white box and has a black cap. Thats it.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:24 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wowvfast
what's cheap?
msd isn't the only game in town..you pay 50 bux for those letters...I have used mallory as well...
yea my friend told me the same thing, well what do you think would be a good performance distributor for the money?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

my stator in my stock dizzy just took a crap on my and i ordered a "plug and play" mallory. I've heard too much about msd's not working right out of the box. and the mallory was 207, the msd was 270. I will not run msd on my car due to what people have said, they're overpriced and the technology is starting to get dated. I'll be putting in my dizzy tomorrow so i'll let you know how it works. but i don't think you can go wrong with a mallory, pertronix, accel, or even summit. i haven't heard anything bad about them.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
my stator in my stock dizzy just took a crap on my and i ordered a "plug and play" mallory. I've heard too much about msd's not working right out of the box. and the mallory was 207, the msd was 270. I will not run msd on my car due to what people have said, they're overpriced and the technology is starting to get dated. I'll be putting in my dizzy tomorrow so i'll let you know how it works. but i don't think you can go wrong with a mallory, pertronix, accel, or even summit. i haven't heard anything bad about them.
yea i was just looking up the summit ones! frikken 200 bucks! hell of a lot cheaper than MSD, and like people have been saying just a mallory with a different cap, i might just consider getting one. let me know how it works!

another question...ill need one thats NOT computer controlled capable correct? because im running a carburetor?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

You see what sitting on the front of my engine. I had to break from the MSD camp on this build. Mine isn't the ready to run version though. This photo is about a month old.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TopNotch89
yea i was just looking up the summit ones! frikken 200 bucks! hell of a lot cheaper than MSD, and like people have been saying just a mallory with a different cap, i might just consider getting one. let me know how it works!

another question...ill need one thats NOT computer controlled capable correct? because im running a carburetor?
You won't need the computer compatible one but make sure the gear is compatible with you cam
Old 02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
You won't need the computer compatible one but make sure the gear is compatible with you cam
kick *** looking block port! yea im going to look at other things than MSD, thanks for all the advice everyone
Old 02-20-2009, 05:41 AM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

hey guys i know this has resurfaced many times and im still held up on this, could i possibly go to Autozone and buy a early 80's dizzy for a carburated 302 and run in on my 87 roller block? i know the early 80's cars had flat tappet cams.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

mjr has an old Dura-Spark system on one of his cars. You would still have to make sure it has the right gear on it for your roller cam.

If you really want to get out cheap here is the way to go. The only thing you have to have is a hot wire going to the distributor. It has the coil built in and is basicly a better version of a 76 Chevy HEI dist built with a Ford shaft. They work really well up to about 6300 rpm with the coil that comes in them. You can upgrade the module and coil in them when you need to. If you ever need a replacement module,cap, coil or pick-up you just run in the closest parts store and tell them you need the part for a 76 Monte Carlo with a 350. (any GM from that area but thats so you don't confuse the pasts guy,lol) this one has the gear ready for a roller cam.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku