5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

('95 5.0) Removing window motor, have I botched things up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 PM
pcm2a

Default ('95 5.0) Removing window motor, have I botched things up?

What's up all! The window motor has all but about died in my '95 5.0 Convertible. Taking the door panel off was easy breasy. I read a few guides, which were all different and then jumped right in.

First I drilled out the two rivets in the middle of the door that hold the regulator on.

Second I drilled out the right two rivets that hold the regulator on. Maybe I shouldn't have drilled out these two?

Third I took off the little bottom track held on by two nuts, real easy. Dunno if this needed to come off but opened up a lot of working room.

Next I unbolted the three bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. Boy I didn't understand what was going to happen at this point. The motor came off and the spring on the regulator closed up. Made a bunch of crazy racket.

I tested the motor and it is almost dead and my new motor is real strong. Tomrrow I will be trying to put everything back.

I'm worried that I will have trouble bending the arm back, hooking the motor up, and getting the gears to line up to the regulator. Sure seems crazy that it will all go back together and work! I'll let you know.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcm2a
What's up all! The window motor has all but about died in my '95 5.0 Convertible. Taking the door panel off was easy breasy. I read a few guides, which were all different and then jumped right in.

First I drilled out the two rivets in the middle of the door that hold the regulator on.

Second I drilled out the right two rivets that hold the regulator on. Maybe I shouldn't have drilled out these two?

Third I took off the little bottom track held on by two nuts, real easy. Dunno if this needed to come off but opened up a lot of working room.

Next I unbolted the three bolts that hold the motor to the regulator. Boy I didn't understand what was going to happen at this point. The motor came off and the spring on the regulator closed up. Made a bunch of crazy racket.

I tested the motor and it is almost dead and my new motor is real strong. Tomrrow I will be trying to put everything back.

I'm worried that I will have trouble bending the arm back, hooking the motor up, and getting the gears to line up to the regulator. Sure seems crazy that it will all go back together and work! I'll let you know.
I watched a buddy of mine do the motor on his Firebird the other day, and he took the whole regulator and motor out at the same time, and when he drilled out the rivets that held his motor to the regulator, the same thing happened. The spring decompressed and scared the **** out of us. After he played with it a little, he firgured out how to use the little arm to wind the spring back up. I think you'll do fine. Let us know, cause I want to do my passenger side regulator, because it keeps freezing up with the window open. Since your's already exploded, you can be the guinea pig!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Project 5.GO!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pcm2a

By the way, I have heard that if the window motor still turns, then it's still good. If it makes a bunch of racket when it's under load, it can be fixed with a simple nut. This guy who works in an auto body shop said that the Ford motors have a plastic bushing inside the motor housing that gets chewed up, and that you can just open it up and replace that bushing with a nut.