5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

93 mustang gt supercharged help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
93mustangvortech

Default 93 mustang gt supercharged help

I have a 93 mustang gt with a vortech supercharger. It has been rebuilt with higher cam, edelbrock rpm heads, roller rockers, 42lbs injectors, 70mm throttle body, msd ignition, vortech supercharger with power pipe running about 10psi non-intercooled, and 3.73 rear end. These are the main things, a few more little things to help accomodate. Anyway, it has an automatic transmission and when I bought it at the end of the summer it ran 11.72 at 119 mph on street tires. It had good power from start to finish. It had never been tuned and because it was non-intercooled I decided to do that after having it a few months. I didn't really race it from a dead start for a while after that because it just roasts the tires, but a few weeks after the tune, i took it to the track and it just would not take off the line very well. It took about 2-3 seconds to really start going so I ran way slower, like 13 sec at 117 mph. I knew something was wrong. I took it back the tuers but they said the tune was good, we checked it out and I had blown a head gasket on both sides. I have since replaced the head gaskets with better ones and the car accelerates better than it did when I last ran at the track but it still takes a second or two to take off, it does not jump off the line anymore, infact I can barely get a small squeak from the tires taking off. The car has about 400 hp at the wheels so it still doesn't seem right. Can this be from the tune, I know they put a conservative tune as far as timing goes because there is no intercooler but would it affect it like this. Once the car gets high into the rpms it seems as powerful as it ever did. I have had issues with the transmission too, so could something be wrong with the torque converter to affect this too, it has 2800 stall?? Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

This could be any number of things. Are you spinning, even slightly off the line? If you're having tranny troubles or problems with the stall converter, that could obviously slow you down a bit. It could be the tune as well.

Are you saying that it's fine once it gets moving but just has trouble starting out?

Just out of curiosity, I didn't see any MAF listed in your mods. What were you running with for a MAF? Either way, to run 42# injectors and 10# non-intercooled sounds like suicide to me (which explains the head gaskets.)
Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you could be having converter problems maybe some thing inside the conv. is gone bad I have seen it happen. not so much on the lower HP cars but on the big HP cars I have seen it happen a few times. ( not trying to call your car low HP but low compared to the ones I am speaking of) Also with out knowing your tune it is hard to tell but yes if the tune is off it can give low end issues. Who's converter is it anyways
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
93mustangvortech

Even on the streen when I floor it off the line, the tires don't really spin at all, just a small squeak, which obviously makes something not right, it just doesn't take off at all for the first 2 seconds or so and then it starts to accelerate fine once it reaches about 3-4000 rpms. The MAF is upgraded to the larger size and was calibrated and mapped after the other parts. I know I definitely should do some type of intercooling. Would you recommend an air to air cooler, or I have started to look into the methanol injection systems, they seem the most cost effective, what have you heard about them. I am getting another transmission in it in the next month or two so that should take care of anything that is going wrong with that. Anything else you think would be something I should check out?