5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Subframe question-recs. for local installer in Chicago W/NW suburbs??

Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Subframe question-recs. for local installer in Chicago W/NW suburbs??

As spring approaches here in Chicago(a day here and there at a time) I'm thinking of projects again. One I've had on my mind before I even bought my 91 convertible is subframe connectors. I'm leaning toward the XL series full length Maximum Motorsports powdercoated. The company has been great about questions, and the units seem to be well-thought. Their rep recommended the full length XL because of my desire for maximizing rigidity in my cruiser.

My neighbor offered the use of his welder, but as much as I'd like to tackle it myself, my complete lack of experience with welding makes me look for professional help. I know these are less straightforward installs;reading the instructions I realize they involve careful measuring and irreversible cutting of my car.

Can anyone make a recommendation for an installer in the western(Downer's Lisle Naperville) or NW(Addison,Roselle, Carol Stream,Elginetc) Chicago suburbs? If you've had them done, what approximate cost am I looking at? Thanks for any insight and help ya'll can provide!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Any thoughts on this? Or even on my choice of MM subframe connectors?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

I am getting the regular weld on with no cutting required, part # MMSF-1B. For my App it is gonna be enough. Is it a DD or strip? or both?

Last edited by Chaoss84GT50; 03-09-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: add part number
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

you can give speed inc a call, they do alot of mustangs, they might be a bit pricey tho. www.speedinc.com
Old 03-09-2009, 02:11 PM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Chaoss84GT50,my car will be a daily driver in the warm weather( my commute is short) and a weekend toy. My intent is to tighten up the notoriously loose convertible body structure and bring it to more modern standards of handling. Rather than a rock-hard ride with completely flat cornering, I was looking for the "controlled compliance" ideal Ford was leaning towards with the '93 Cobra.

After some detailed email discussions with a very helpul Chris Phelps at Maximum Motorsports, I was persuaded that although ANY subframe connector would be an improvement, the XL series would give me maximum benefit(along with a strut tower brace). I should note that my long-term intentions include MM coilover conversion, and mild power bumps(GT40 heads,intake, headers, cam).

I guess I just want a car that feels more secure, fast and fun around town. I can't afford a newer Mustang convertible right now(kids, business expansion, house projects-you know, life), and I still love the Fox(my first new car was an 87 LX 5.0 that was murdered by Chicago road salt- they spread salt on the roads like a baker batters a birthday cake!).

Stella94GT, have you had any experience with Speedinc? I will probably swing by there this week, since there not far from my house in Bartlett or my kids' school in Roselle. It always feels better when you hear a good personal experience, though.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

missmy5.0 i havnt brought anything there but alot of guys on chicagolandmustang.com send stuff their way and always seem happy with it. speed inc also has an account there and keeps in touch with the guys, seems to be pretty reputable.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

most performance oriented places should be able to weld them on easily
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

on a vert there will be some cutting of the factory floor pan braces... they need to be trimmed back and then welded to the subframe...

I just had mine installed
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Missmy5.0
1st Gear Member

Shelty-

Sharp Fox-I like the white top and interior- a lot of people think I'm nuts, but I wouldn't mind swapping mine over(it's dark blue with a dark blue top and grey interior). I also wish I had a 5 speed, but it took me a year of looking to find a clean Fox convertible in a color I liked at a reasonable price.

Which connectors did you go with, and how do you like them? Does your car now feel as solid as I'm hoping mine will?
Old 03-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Missmy5.0
Shelty-

Sharp Fox-I like the white top and interior- a lot of people think I'm nuts, but I wouldn't mind swapping mine over(it's dark blue with a dark blue top and grey interior). I also wish I had a 5 speed, but it took me a year of looking to find a clean Fox convertible in a color I liked at a reasonable price.

Which connectors did you go with, and how do you like them? Does your car now feel as solid as I'm hoping mine will?
thanks for the compliment. I went with the max. motorsports full length connectors. they come with detailed instructions and all the parts you need. I like them very much and noticed a difference in how the car felt the second I pulled out of the shop and drove home. much more solid and stable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Subframe question-recs. for local installer in Chicago W/NW suburbs??