5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A few clarifications/help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 AM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation A few clarifications/help needed...

I've been reading up on my mustang for the past 3 days. Things like basic upgrades to full all out wild upgrades.. I really hate to ask these questions. Knowing they have been asked to death.. But I tried to understand them, n can't without asking!!

Theres a few things I'm confused on..
-The hole MAF swap. I've tried to understand it.. Whats needed n all!?! (The cheapest route)

-Which year n make GT-40 intake n heads are the best for my mustang!?! (check signature)
And is it worth it doing the GT-40 I/H swap for the price!?! or should I save up and go aftermarket I/H!?!

-This is purely an advice question.. My goal is to make around 400hp(It might just be a pipe dream.. But ya gotta start with a dream..). Would it be cheaper(wallet wise) to go FI!?! Or stay NA!?! To make the 400hp goal..

Thanx

P.S. I plan on doing ALL the "1st mods" before I go and start with my goal. I have a checklist printed off on them..
Old 03-08-2009, 03:16 AM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Is this link my answer to my MAF question...
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

Thanx
Old 03-08-2009, 10:09 AM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

thats one way you can also use the computer maf and complete harness under the hood then you dont have to splice any wires
Old 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

u can get a maf a connector and a new computer
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'd just save up and do a aftermarket h/c/i that'll support more hp and get you closer and quicker to your end goal then the gt-40 route ever will
Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I'd just save up and do a aftermarket h/c/i that'll support more hp and get you closer and quicker to your end goal then the gt-40 route ever will
Well, I looked into your advice.. And its just not in my budget range to go aftermarket! I would love to... So, Which year n make GT-40 intake n heads are the best for my mustang!?!
I know some GT-40 intakes are internal EGR style and others are not! Which style would be best 2 get?
Should I get the GT-40P heads? or the non-GT-40P heads?

I've decided to go FI.. Either with a SC or turbo! I just haven't decided which one yet..

Which cam should I go with that set-up?

Thanx
Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by KINGKAOS
Well, I looked into your advice.. And its just not in my budget range to go aftermarket!
I've decided to go FI.. Either with a SC or turbo! I just haven't decided which one yet..

Thanx
hrmmmmmmmmmmmm not in your budget range?? so what is your budget??, cause what I see is you choosing to do a gt-40 h/c/i and forced induction......So explain to me how a well thought out aftermarket h/c/i is more than what you are choosing?? Cause what you have chose will require a much larger budget than what I recommended, Trust me, you won't be just bolting all that stuff on and not have to upgrade such stuff as the fuel system as well as the ignition system and custom tuning as well as other supporting mods.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
hrmmmmmmmmmmmm not in your budget range?? so what is your budget??, cause what I see is you choosing to do a gt-40 h/c/i and forced induction......So explain to me how a well thought out aftermarket h/c/i is more than what you are choosing?? Cause what you have chose will require a much larger budget than what I recommended, Trust me, you won't be just bolting all that stuff on and not have to upgrade such stuff as the fuel system as well as the ignition system and custom tuning as well as other supporting mods.
Well my budget range consists of.. Having $300 one month to spend, Maybe a couple months later have $200 or $400 to spend.. Theres a local "mustang" guy that I can get parts off of 4 cheap! I plan on doing this build over a year or 2. I know I'll need "other" parts as well.. But, I'll need those parts(fuel, ign., etc..) no matter what build I do!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Oh, I've tuned my other cars(Not fords) before. I've burned my own chips and installed them.. I figure I can get a good tune locally. See how they do it research it. And "hopefully" be able to do my own tuning.. I could be wishful thinking there.. But, you got 2 start somewhere..

Also, I've done 2 homemade turbo set-ups before.. 1 I never was able to "play" with. Since I sold the car right after.. And the other set-up I started to "play" with but then just got burnt out on cars and stuff. And sold that 1.. And stopped messing with cars for a couple of years..

P.S. "play" = mess around with the tuning, the components, etc..

Last edited by KINGKAOS; 03-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by KINGKAOS
But, I'll need those parts(fuel, ign., etc..) no matter what build I do!
not for a gt-40 set up you won't, stock ign and fuel system will be plenty.

Quick Reply: A few clarifications/help needed...