5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

overheating...what the heck is going to happen next?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

Question overheating...what the heck is going to happen next?!?!

so like all my other posts, im looking for help mjr is helping me a lot with everything and i thank you for that. but here is the new issue before i go and take the heads off my car again...

i have noticed that my cooling system is loosing coolant, somewhere. i thought it to be the heater core so i just looped the hose to the heater, its spring now anyways. but i didnt have an issue inside the car with water on the floorpans. but i did notice a gromet on the firewall on the engine bay side was a little damp and dripped slowly of coolant, leading me to think the heater core is bad.

after cutting off the heater core im still loosing coolant somewhere, when i get in my car and run it hard, not redline racing, just faster then normal gas saving speeds, my car will start to get warm and then the thermostat must open up and let the coolant flow. this leads me to think that there is air ing the block and it forces the car to get warm and finally opens the stat to circulate the coolant. also when this happens the car pukes coolant everywhere.

this is what happen to me the other day. i was at advanced auto selling a part to someone there and my car was sitting idle, it sat running for about 10mins and then i noticed coolant running under the car, it started to puke out the reserve tank, i watched the temp gauge climb to about 3/4th when i started to drive home. thetemp went down to middle about 195 while i was driving, i have a 160 stat in the car.

i cant figure out what is going on, but i have jsut redone the head gaskets because the passengers side 4 cylinder blew out the side gasket. so i did both gaskets to save me the trouble of a head issue with the drivers side. i cant figure out why im loosing coolant and why my car keeps getting warm. i am leading to a head gasket issue but i find it hard to think it is that since i just did that job and i havent beaten my since then. anyideas or knowledge on this is appreciated!

Klesse
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
ahittz24
3rd Gear Member

First Question: Did you have the heads shaved when you did the head gaskets? I bet they are warped if you didn't

Second Question: I was having a similar issue at one point with my car, check the T-Stat and make sure its in properly, Make sure the spring is facing the inside of the intake manifold.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

no i didnt get the heads milled, and the t stat is in corectly and it is opening at the right times, it just doesnt seen to open when i run thecar hard from a cold start. otherwise the coolant is ciculating fine it seems. just builds a good amount of pressure in the cooling sytem.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Chaoss84GT50
2nd Gear Member

possibly a partially clogged radiator? I have read that the 160* t-stat is too cool to run on a DD because it doesnt let the car get to operating temp, 180* is the way to go, from what I have read. My car is in shambles right now so it hasnt been drivin in like 4 months
Old 03-11-2009, 01:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

first thing to do is bleed the cooling system or at least fill it up and then use a pressure tester and search for the leak.....what may have happened is your car due to the leak got low on coolant then an air pocket is created therefore causing flow of coolant to stop and thus overheating occurs = 1 theroy.......another theroy would be if it overheated at idle..is the clutch fan operational?? also when you installed the head gaskets you did install them correctly right??? meaning the part labled "front" is at the front right??
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Stangnsnow2
2nd Gear Member

yea theory one i think is out, because i can fill the rad and then after it circulates i can fill it up and it circulates fine with the radiator cap off. and as for the head gaskets yes i put them on corectly. only done it on like 5 different mustangs now...haha

but with te pressure test of the coolant system how could i go about doing that on my own?

oh and about the fan, i have an electric fan that runs as soon as i turn the car on, blowing from the front to the back trew the radiator
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
wowvfast
2nd Gear Member

this is why I love a MR. Gasket stat no burbing needed... not all stat open when they say alot will just start to open at the predetermined temp

so you have a pusher fan? it's need a thermostat on it, not run all the time