5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New Guy seeking help

Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
mccumb4

Default New Guy seeking help

Okay, let me first say that i'm new here, i've been a member of the Corvette forum for some time. And while my first car was a Mustang, and I still love Mustangs, a corvette is my sweetheart for now.

With that said, I hope you guys can overlook that and realize that we are all part of the "american muscle car family".

Here's my problem...
We just got my nephew hooked up with his dream car. A beat to death 1990 Mustang GT Convertible with Auto Transmission. It's white. And it's ugly. But once upon a time it was beautiful. He intends on getting it back to that pristine condition and I believe he'll do it in short order. In a generation where it seems most children do not earn anything they want, this guy is the exception in that he worked hard day in and day out to save and buy his dream.

So... What can be done. I know, sky is the limit. I actually have a stroked 383 with 469 horsepower, LT Headers, X-Pipe and AFR Heads. But this boy doesn't have that kind of money. So, what can we build for say the $1500 price range? His engine runs now (barely), so I'd guess we could find a block somewhere and machine it and start from there leaving his engine in the daily driver. Anyone have some ideas for me? Give me a 1500 price range and 3k price range if that's even possible. I'm Ford stupid so if you could provide me with the right brands i'd love you. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

What is the body, top and interior like? Does he wanna just get it back to stock and enjoy it or does he want to mod it for a nice street car. 1500.00 isn't much of a budget for a car needing a lot of work. I think I would at least get it running right, then some cosmetic work so it can at least be enjoyable to drive. Can you get some pics of it posted up?

Sorry to hear you're a chebby guy. But we're not all perfect, LOL! And a C-4 at that. Def my least fave of the Corvette era.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll get the help you need as well as some ribbing for being from the dark side.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

www.50resto.com has about everything that you will need. Even a low dollar cast piston long block.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM
mccumb4

Default Sorry for lack of details..

I had just driven 280+ miles round trip, and it was getting late. I apoligize for not being more specific.

I'm looking to build a new engine. He probably can't afford a stroker kit. I imagine I can find a good 302 block and have it cleaned, blasted, machined for less than 300. I/we can do the rebuild without any issues. I've built several 302's in my day years ago. I guess my question is, How much horsepower can I get in a daily driver for 1500'ish (machining and parts) and how much can I get for 3000'ish. Which are the best components in that price range and will it build a solid foundation for his car. I know there are short blocks and long blocks that are very inexpensive, however, i'm hesitant to buy something that will just blow up after a few heavy footed miles on them. The car needs a complete exhaust system. I'm sure we'll go with some decent headers (might be a gift from me), but who's got good stuff?

As far as the body goes. It's pretty trashed. I think the passenger front Fender and Driver side quarter panel is the only two peices that are not trashed. I found fenders for 89.00ea, I'm still looking for doors, quarters, bumpers, and trunk lid and the skirting. We have an aftermarket hood that he likes already. The top has no leaks or tears but really needs to be replaced. It's pretty faded.

*edit okay, bumpers easy to find, having difficulty finding doors and quarter panels.

Anyway, we're going to dump at least 1200 into the engine first, then worry about the cosmetics.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Does the 302 really need to be re-built? ...maybe just do the basic tune-up, maybe some gaskets and some bolt ons!?
Old 03-16-2009, 12:16 PM
KINGKAOS
2nd Gear Member

Off topic! My buddy and I put in a 383 stroker from jegs into our boss's '74 vette. It had like 450+ hp! then we dropped his old 350 into my '84 S-10 ext. cab. My boss let me take the vette for a spin since I helped with the install. And man that was a ride and a half.. I jumped onto the highway, I was goin 45 and my boss says step on it... So I was like hell ya!! When I did the car came sideways, I let off a bit went sideways the other way, got it straight then chomped on it again.. and away we went... Then just to scare my boss alil more. Once we got to where we were going. I did 2 doughnuts! He almost **** his pants! Cuz he didnt expect it.. it was fun!!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

if the body is really in that bad of shape... i wouldn't bother putting the money into it.

you should get rid of it as long as you didn't pay anything/much for it
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
mccumb4

Default The Corvette ***** coming out of me...

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
if the body is really in that bad of shape... i wouldn't bother putting the money into it.

you should get rid of it as long as you didn't pay anything/much for it
I wondered why there was a bazillion mustangs in the junk yard. No one is willing to give them some TLC.

The engine is trashed. It's knocking like crazy and smokes like a train. Pretty sure I found just about every piece of body panel for less than 1k.

The point is.... The boy found what he wanted. A beater that needed work. Perhaps it reminds him of his past time rebuilding cars with his pop before he ran off. I don't know, but it's the kids money, the kids car, and the kids dream. I can shut up and help or get out of his way. I'd rather be in his life. You guys wanna help me? We can take a total turd of a car (and i'll post pictures often) and turn it into something this 17 year old boy can be proud of. Proud that it's his car, proud that he basically builds it from the ground up with his own hands, sweat, and tears. Proud that he finally has something that no one can take from him.

This boy has absolutely nothing going for him in life. His parents (the definition of dysfunction) have done every dis-service you can imagine to their children. His siblings are strewn across the country. He sees his father maybe once a year. He's found a hobby he can be proud of that will divert his attention away from the dysfunction that is the normality of his life, and I intend to support him any way I can.

I hope you'll help
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
Smitty0425

Here's a list of stuff I found on craigslist in Wichita, Ks. I know its not close to you, but if you know someone out this way, there are some good deals. Just search it out.

Stock hood $50
Doors left and right $100 each (off of an 88)
shorty headers $20
Rear hatch w/spoiler 125.00
4 wheels & tires $200.00