5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

na street build

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 AM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

Default na street build

i want to build a motor for my car. its going to stay n/a. should i use a 5.0 block or a 5.8. im going to run afr heads probly 58cc with high compression and i like steedas 18 and 20 cams. ill probly get a tubular gt40 intake port matched to the heads. ill probly need 24# injectors. what are your opinions
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM
saleenpride1986
2nd Gear Member

scrap the gt40 intake, it will choke a build if you want to do it right. I'd say get 347 can use the 5.0 block if you're on a budget use an aftermarket block if you want to make higher hp numbers down the road.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

you need to do quite a bit more research... most of what you just said was a pretty good indication of a build thats set for failure
Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you need to do quite a bit more research... most of what you just said was a pretty good indication of a build thats set for failure

i couldnt agree more. check out hardcore50.com and sbftech.com if you dont learn something from those 2 sites sell the car to someone else
Old 03-16-2009, 04:05 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
+2...
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by jkrum10238
i want to build a motor for my car. its going to stay n/a. should i use a 5.0 block or a 5.8. im going to run afr heads probly 58cc with high compression and i like steedas 18 and 20 cams. ill probly get a tubular gt40 intake port matched to the heads. ill probly need 24# injectors. what are your opinions
fail.......do not pass go and or collect your 200 dolla'..........I'd build a stroker......
Old 03-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Buy a crate motor. Building engines isn't for everyone.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM
mccumb4

Default Learning Curve...

I'm starting to learn how I found such a great home on my other forum.

I'm a Mustang newbie too. I've built several 302's a couple of decades ago in High School that ran for years and years. But I have no earthly clue what the good components are today.

Rather than just shoot a guy down, how about providing him with some of your great insight too. "Yes, that combo sucks, but here's a combo that would be great for you." "Instead of using blah blah blah, try yada yada yada, you'll yield better torque more cost effectively".

This is one of many posts i've read in the the past 2 days where we shoot a person in the foot for making a mistake then suggest they give up or sell the car. WOW!

Listen we were all newbs at one point building hotrods. Granted some of you guys spent decades perfecting combinations that work. Years worth of money, blood, and sweat was spent learning the hard way to get where your cars are right now, and i've seen some really impressive machines here. But if the purpose of this forum (in part) is not to help people learn from your combined awesome extensive knowledge, well then why are we bothering logging in?

Thanks by the way to the guys who have emailed me and posted for me great ideas, deals and suggestions.
/rant off
Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Why should every single thing be spelled out? fs308 gave him a good recommendation. Fact of the matter is: with some research and more reading his question has been answered and are readily available with the use of the search function. Why should everything be spoon fed?

Here I will spoon feed a little, how the hell do you select a cam, injector, and head without knowing what block you are going to use? Research your parts and find out what their application is and come up with a goal for what you want the car to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:45 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by mccumb4
Rather than just shoot a guy down, how about providing him with some of your great insight too. "Yes, that combo sucks, but here's a combo that would be great for you." "Instead of using blah blah blah, try yada yada yada, you'll yield better torque more cost effectively".

This is one of many posts i've read in the the past 2 days where we shoot a person in the foot for making a mistake then suggest they give up or sell the car. WOW!
Well see my NOOB here is the issue I've been here almost 2 years and the same questions are repeated every other day, while we are not opposed to help, a little effort on ones part goes along way. research and the more one does the more one will be able to put together a decent set up......and the "here's a combo that'd be great for him" is called use the search function on here, I have provided numerous combos in the past...the same ole same ole gets old real quick

Quick Reply: na street build