5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trans install problem, HELP!

Old 03-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Default Trans install problem, HELP!

I'm having a problem getting my transmission in all the way...

First try we used the clutch alignment tool to line up the clutch and pilot bearing, tightened pressure plate bolts and all seemed well.... after putting the bellhousing on and trying to get the transmission in, it seems to get stuck 11/32 away from the bellhousing.

So we pulled it all back apart.... then put the transmission in without the bellhousing on and tightened up the pressure plate bolts to ensure everything was lined up...the tranny was fully engaged, we knew this because the distance from the transmission housing to the block was the exactl same as the thickness of the bellhousing. So we pulled the trans out and installed the bellhousing... now we tried to put the transmission back in and, of course the trans is 11/32 away from the bellhousing like it was before.

What is causing the trans not to line up flush with the bellhousing? If it's 11/32 away then it is partially engaged in the pilot bearing, right? We wiggled the trans in every which way in order to try and get it lined up, but no good.

We've been doing this on our backs on the ground, so much fun.... I'm about to have it towed to the garage my partner in crime works at so we can do this on a lift, but I'm not that quick to admit defeat.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:33 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Put the clutch and PP back on the flywheel using the alignment tool. Get it all hooked up and ready for the transmission, stab tranny up to the point to where you have the little gap between the tranny and bell housing. Once you get to this point, get in the car ans step on the clutch while someone pushes the tranny the rest of the way on.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by BlessedHellride
Put the clutch and PP back on the flywheel using the alignment tool. Get it all hooked up and ready for the transmission, stab tranny up to the point to where you have the little gap between the tranny and bell housing. Once you get to this point, get in the car ans step on the clutch while someone pushes the tranny the rest of the way on.

always works
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Sorry for the multipost, my isp doesn't like me or somthing.

My clutch cable isn't connected so we have the ability to move the clutch fork by hand from under the car... and it didn't work. We have no idea why this thing isn't going in, but its frustrating.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Well I guess using the pedal will let me fully disengage the clutch which theres no way I can do by hand? I'll try it soon.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Sorry for the multipost, my isp doesn't like me or somthing.

My clutch cable isn't connected so we have the ability to move the clutch fork by hand from under the car... and it didn't work. We have no idea why this thing isn't going in, but its frustrating.
you arent going to press the clutch in by hand... hook the cable up
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
always works
I learned that trick from you big dawg!!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I USUALLY lock the tranny in gear and put a yoke in the output shaft so I can wiggle it in and have control over the input shaft, has always worked for me
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'll try your methods soon.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
the distance from the transmission housing to the block was the exactl same as the thickness of the bellhousing.
So you are definately in about 11/32" further than before. Good work but are you just saying it's the same or it IS exactly the same. If it's exactly the same, your input shaft will be touching your crankshaft. No good, it needs some clearance but this is not your problem.

11/32" makes me think you are engaged with the splines, it's IN the pilot bearing and even in the crank. Check the front bearing retainer and the big hole on the bell housing for burrs or nicks. They are a tight fit.

Those alignment tools often are sagged down to the bottom as the weight of the disc pulls down on everything before you tighten the pressure plate bolts. I like to find the slop and center the tool before I clamp the disc down with the bolts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans install problem, HELP!