5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:09 PM
John Doev1
1st Gear Member

Default Please help

Car: 89 LX 5.0 T5

Problem:

About 2 weeks ago I started my car and the starter stayed engauged, not contacting the flywheel just kept spinning. I disconnected the battery and it stopped, then it started fine. Ok so the following week(last week) it did it again but it did it while I was driving. First thought was the selinoid. So I replaced it but being that it engauged while I was driving it chewed all the teeth off the starter gear. So I replaced the starter and selinoid, also the posative battery cable.

Thought all was fine, the flywheel was not hurt and I made it a point to buy a brand new starter(not reman). Lastnight I come out from work and start my car and the starter stayed engauged, free spinning. I unhooked the battery and then started it w/o any problems.

To say the least I am a bit pissed. The only part from the actual starting system I have not replaced is the ignition switch but I assume that it is ok because when I turn the key off all the power(dash lights/radio/ so on and so forth) are killed.

I suspect a faulty selinoid switch again, if this is true is there a better one on the market or is there a way to bypass it to maybe a push button start or something?

Last edited by John Doev1; 03-22-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when the prob occurs grab your test light quick and see if the selonoid is being triggered by the feed wire from ignition switch...if so switch may be bad.