5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Spec Clutch Toasted so soon why

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I can't see just sitting having that kind of effect on a clutch. Did you break it in properly?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

My cluch sat for a hot minute while I had my car apart, and the whole time I was out in Oklahoma...

its still fine. I'm going to say your might have had some kind of defect, nothing is perfect. But just because you had an isolated incident with your clutch, doesnt mean you should condemn the company

That would be like me talking all kinds of **** about my engine builder forgetting to install an oil gallery plug in my motor...

Had it come apart I could have torn him a new one for having sub par products, or poor craftsmanship... but the fact that he stayed on the phone with me till 9:30pm while I pulled my engine apart to inspect it... and offered to build me a new motor and ship it out immediately if there was a problem... shows that incidents do occur, sometimes they are not preventable. sometimes you just have to deal with it.

I've had my spec for a long time, it sat out for a while, had stuff spilled on it.. and I just washed it off with brake cleaner, gently sanded the pads, and re-installed it.

To this day, it STILL works wonderfully!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

yeah I was just suprised I loved the feel of the clutch and the drivetrain was the best part of my car then it just started slippin worse and worse I dont race the car just drive it for fun I have a work van so it doesnt get driven alot I am really just tryin to hear what everyone thinks cause I dont want my new one to go bad quick
Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I had a spec stage 1 clutch in my 89 gt and it gripped great, only had the car for maybe a thousand miles after break in. The only complaint I had on it was it chattered like crazy but that was just my excuse to chirp my tires everywhere I took off ha ha
Old 03-30-2009, 08:26 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

*ahem*

...centerforce...

that is all.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:11 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by pk222
I had a spec stage 1 clutch in my 89 gt and it gripped great, only had the car for maybe a thousand miles after break in. The only complaint I had on it was it chattered like crazy but that was just my excuse to chirp my tires everywhere I took off ha ha
did you get your flywheel resurfaced before installing it?
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

most good clutch manufactures get a bad rap,cause somebody didn't break it in right or did something stupid to it,and when it fails it's spec is junk centerforce is crap or ram is a pos.

funny thing is when i tore my motor apart the other day,and i decided to inspect the centerforce clutch,and after 8 yrs of abuse it only needed a disc everything else was fine even the throwout bearing..

so maybe you flywheel needs re-surfaced? or a new disc
Old 03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I installed it with a brand new spec billet steel flywheel and broke it in it was perfect then like 2 days after gettin it back on the road after a year it was on its way out
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Shvltme_94SN95

i had a spec stage1 on my 5 cylinder audi and i never had a problem with it. i am actually considering putting a spec clutch in the Lucy.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
First off Spec Clutches are Junk. Sitting up for a year probably pulled the face off the disc the first time you pushed in the clutch.
i dont see how a spec is junk, that's been the best clutch i've ever used i have a spec stage 3 and i'll never look back

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
*ahem*

...centerforce...

that is all.
me personally i dont like em, maybe i had a bad one but the thing wouldnt hold for anything... i had it set right, i really looked forward to it cause everyone talks so good about em. but it didnt even hold up for 1000 miles... for me. the spec is the way i went and it's been great.

did you break in the clutch properly? they have a piece of paper in the kit that tells you, you have to take it easy and do alot of stop and go drivin on it for 500 miles

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch Toasted so soon why