5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

first performance parts. intake and heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:12 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

Default first performance parts. intake and heads

just picked up my first performance parts. explorer (mountaineer) intake and gt40p heads. they needs some cleaning and painting/polishing. what is the best budget way to clean the upper and lower to make it as clean and new as possible (inside and outside)? also with the heads, any suggestions on cleaning and what to do with the valves, ports, etc (what to do to make it perform at its best)?

kinda wierd excited feeling of having some rustic looking performance parts.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

take it to a machine shop
Old 04-10-2009, 06:59 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

i know the heads should be machined/resurfaced. but isnt there a bath of some sort that i can give the intake?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

have it hot tanked
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM
95 madness
1st Gear Member

I agree take it to a machine shop pay a little more now than even more later. I would have the heads torn down hot tanked , if you want them ported then ask then as well get a valve job and have them milled if neccessary. the intake needs to be bead blasted hotanked milled if needed and it will look like new. The polishing part is all you or look for a company in your area that specializes in this type of work. Never be afraid or feel silly about asking questions more info the better take it from someone LOL who sometimes has to learn the hard way. Never the less take it to a trusted machine shop in your area and talk to them they will know who or how to get it done good luck and let see some pics!!! By the way I am in south florida if I can help let me know.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

as far as hooking up the intake, my car is a speed density. from what i've seen, (PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong) i should my original fuel rails and tb. i know i will need gaskets. i've seen some articles referring to tapping the number 5 runner (what part is the runner?)

keep the stock 19# injectors or go with the 24#?
how about the egr? Does it stay or go?
will anything else be needed?
some of the vacuum lines have be pondering.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by j-wigg
as far as hooking up the intake, my car is a speed density. from what i've seen, (PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong) i should my original fuel rails and tb. i know i will need gaskets. i've seen some articles referring to tapping the number 5 runner (what part is the runner?)

keep the stock 19# injectors or go with the 24#?
how about the egr? Does it stay or go?
will anything else be needed?
some of the vacuum lines have be pondering.
+1 on lettin a machine shop clean them up, plus while its there, have them tap the#5 intake runner to a 3/8 NPT (national pipe thread) for the ACT sensor. Also, if you plan on hooking up egr coolant line to the egr spacer, have them install a nipple in the lower intake for ONE of the coolant lines.

You'll want the 19# injectore, 24#'s would require something like megasquirt.

Really all you need to hook it up is some different size vacuum hoses. I would bring the sizes you want to the auto part store and buy an extra foot or so of each.

Last edited by camaroeater; 04-11-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tanked at a machine shop is the best cleaning you can get, if you plan to do it yourself, brake clean, soap and a pressure washer
Old 04-11-2009, 01:21 PM
cch
3rd Gear Member

If your gonna do it yourself and really want to clean them well (outside surface) Like I'm talking all the rust off and down to the iron... use a wire wheel. For cleaning it's my best friend. Go to your home depot and buy a couple different size ones to fit in a drill and give her hell!
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

will that wire wheel damage any of the metal? i was thinking of using that but was concerned in damage. i started using purple power or power purple cleaner degreaser with a blue scratch pad. that seemed to clean up well. then hit it with the power purple deruster (there wasnt much rust) that really got it pretty well after hitting it with a pressure washer. those ports are a pain (on the intake). gone through about 5 bottles of intake cleaner already and thats just on the lower intake. after reading/searching. found that i will not be needing the egr. actually right now the vacuum lines are not hooked up currently in the car so thats probably something that can be bypassed. (not in emissions state) although its said that it will help actually a very little with performance by putting warmer exausted air back into the intake (dont understand that but ok). found a good pic that someone else had with the vacuum lines that werent needed (were plugged) i will try and post when i find it again. my current plan is to first get the intake cleaned and painted. not sure if i'm going to take it to a shop (budget). the heads are going to wait for some love. that'll go to a shop. and get roller rockers and a cam. any advice or watch out for's when going to install the intake??

Quick Reply: first performance parts. intake and heads