5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new headers and shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 12:13 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

Default new headers and shifter

so i am going to get new equal length shorty headers and a new short throw shifter, im just unsure of which ones to get. i like the blu thunder short throw shifter, but i know nothing about transmissions and what-not. does my 95 gt have a T-5 transmission? and if i get a short throw shifter, that should be easy to install, correct? just take out the center console and bolt it in?

I don't know which headres would be the best either. i know i cant do that myself because i need to take the engine out to get them in i was told, and i dont have the equipment to do that, but can someone advise me on what would be the best to get?
Old 04-11-2009, 03:15 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I have no experience with the shifters, but I do with the headers. I am running the chrome equal length BBK headers. They were a pain to install(took about 8 hrs; was one of my first mods done). The biggest part is trying to squeeze the headers in the tight spaces of the 94-95 engine compartment. The unqual length headers are supposedly easier to install though. You may need a second pair of hands to help you out. Also, you may have to drop the X-Pipe, to make the headers line up easier.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Why do you want a short throw shifter?

As for the headers. Shorties will be easier to install but long headers will help you make more torque and horsepower. Shorties will allow you to use your current exhaust set up.

Your transmission is a Borg Warner T5 which is now made/owned by TTC.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Ive used a few shifters myself, and so far, my B&M ripper has come out on top.

I had a steeda tri-ax... snapped the handle off
Installed a spare pro50 that my boss had laying around... Didnt like the notchy-ness
installed a Hurst Pro billet... Loved it, but the throw was a bit too long (i cant remember who, but another forum member now owns it)
put my B&M Ripper in, and I LOVE the way it feels. Especially with my Pistol Grip shift ****
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

wouldnt a short throw shifter make shifting faster?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:39 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctlazersplaya07
wouldnt a short throw shifter make shifting faster?

That's the idea behind it...But since it's not a strip car I'd rather spend my money on other things for the time being...However, it's your car to do with as you wish. My car had one already or else I doubt I would have bought one and gone through the process of installing it...My car has several other issues that I need to contend with, lol.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

its ALOT easier to install a shifter on a Sn than a fox
Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 AM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

adder if you love the ripper the pro ripper makes the original feel like trash, ask redpony88 why he wants back his old pro ripper from me lol. but a shifter install is super easy to me but im a tech, and if you run into some shorties your not gonna have to take the engine out to put them in, get it on some ramps takes you like an hour or two max to do
Old 04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

well...i actually just found out about a 1200 dollar bond i have that i didnt know about, so should i go with long tube headers and get a new x-pipe to have a better exhaust setup? or should i install something else and do the new exhaust at a later point when im done with a majority of other things, like myintake manifold and suspension?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 PM
ctlazersplaya07
1st Gear Member

would i be able to install long tube headers myself? i am thinking of going with long tube headers and going with an o/r x-pipe for those, but i dont know if i can switch out my headers for my shorties with the legal h-pipe i have for when i go through emissions. i dont want to limit my exhaust with cats. can someone point me in the right direction for what to do with my exhaust setup?

Quick Reply: new headers and shifter