5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help tuning, car is sputtering...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help tuning, car is sputtering...

Well im going to buy some new oil tomarrow, along with some zmax and a new fuel filter. But when i get on my car it sputters then goes... never had to tune one of my cars before so im new to this. I also think its running a bit rich because of some gassy smoke coming out the exhaust, but i didnt see any of the smoke today, just last night when i picked it up. The motor is pretty built and the car use to run nitrous.. Any ideas of how i can make the sputtering go away so when i floor it, all it does is GO!?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

don't waste your money on that infomercial zmax crap, is your car efi or carb???
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
don't waste your money on that infomercial zmax crap, is your car efi or carb???

zmax is not infomercial crap? Carb.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by 86_5oh
zmax is not infomercial crap? Carb.
bullshyt..nuff said............anyway explain the hesitation, will the engine stumble if you rev it in nuetral or does it need to have a load on it??
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

bullshyt..nuff said............anyway explain the hesitation, will the engine stumble if you rev it in nuetral or does it need to have a load on it??

Not sure, i dont really rev the **** out of it in neutral, but im pretty sure its only under load, if i slowly push my foot to the floor while driving its okay, the faster i do it the more it sputters...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so lets say you floor it from a dead stop, does it just briefly sputter then is fine or as you have it floored it is constantly sputtering/ hesitation, reason I ask these questions, I'm trying to narrow down your possibilities of where to look for prob, obviously a quick ride around the block would quickly answer my questions posed to you but I am n ot afforded that luxury over the net
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

so lets say you floor it from a dead stop, does it just briefly sputter then is fine or as you have it floored it is constantly sputtering/ hesitation, reason I ask these questions, I'm trying to narrow down your possibilities of where to look for prob, obviously a quick ride around the block would quickly answer my questions posed to you but I am n ot afforded that luxury over the net
Questions are fine, i just want this thing fixed it bothers me i could have had 3 different races today that i would have eaten the other car but didnt race because i know it would sputter, but if i floor it it will sputter then it will even out and just scream...
Old 04-11-2009, 10:24 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what kind of carb???, sounds like maybe an accelerator pump issue/ circuit needs to be fine tuned,now that's assuming that all tune up parts are fine and timing is set to at least between 10-13 max base
Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

what kind of carb???, sounds like maybe an accelerator pump issue/ circuit needs to be fine tuned

Holley 700 double pumper...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

first thing I'd do on that seeing the pic is set the idle air bleed adjustment screws, to do that you'll need a vaccum gauge and doing one side at a time you screw them in until car starts to die, then back out until highest vaccum setting is reached and as soon as you get that reading I usually go 1/8th a turn out more but not necessary, after idle circuit is set the best way to tune the accelerator pump circuits on holleys are they sell pump cams that are removable and different ones can be put on to change the delivery rate with lazyier or more aggressive ramps for quicker or more initial shot of fuel, also the squirters can be changed to a larger diameter ones to allow a greater discharge of fuel, usually hesitations that appear only on a throttle stomp like you explain, are related to a lean / flat spot, and are cured via accelerator pump tuning, that's to say the float level and FP is all set properly and all tune up parts are good and there are no vaccum leaks, also one thing I have done to cure some hesitations/brief stumbles on performance motors was to bump timing to 13-15 base

Last edited by mjr46; 04-11-2009 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help tuning, car is sputtering...