5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

motor jumpy and stuttering after explorer intake install

Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

Default motor jumpy and stuttering after explorer intake install

using 98 upper and lower. all torqued to specs. used explorer 19# injectors. all new gaskets, stat. cleaned rotor connectors on dizzy. added fuel injector cleaner. smog pump was removed and egr disconnected. vacuum lines that are connected to the upper intake are pcv, vacuum tree, fpr, and vacuum check valve. all other's are capped. on the stock i had a line going to the map but current that line is capped from the upper with a tube coming out for a quick install to the map. the map is not capped (opened to atmosphere). the solenoids for the egr are all still connected but no vacuum lines are connected. there are a few small ones that went to the smog pump that are free (worked fine on the stock intake). stock tb and egr block. tps was not disconnected (was set fine on the stock intake). dizzy was not taken out. only the top part. so i didnt have to restab it.
edit:::: put old spark plugs and the bolt back in the rear of the heads to plug the holes that were for the smog pump.

at first the car wouldnt idle. adjusted the idling screw, fixed the spark plug locations on the dizzy (my 2's and 7's looked too much alike) and got it to stay on at about 700 rpm but was sounding pretty rough (actually the same when the 2 and 7 plug where switched). rechecked all spark plug locations. when throttle was opened to about 4000 rpm it was very jumpy. when it was going down from 4000 it sounded like the car wanted to just go dead and stall. lots of smoking coming from the exhaust. (the pro dumps left 2 nice black marks on the driveway, lol)
edit:::: on the edge of the lower intake along the heads, dead center on the heads, there is a hole that was in the heads that is partially showing. there was no passage ways for that hole that i could find but about 1/3 of it is showing
sounds like a vacuum problem. hoping not past the upper.
timing shouldnt have to be adjusted, correct?

btw... my first swap. i figured it wasnt going to start up perfectly but i sure had that vision of it working perfectly the first time. lol. what was i thinking.

Last edited by j-wigg; 04-23-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check for vaccum leaks
Old 04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

here an edited pic of the vacuum lines that i have currently connected. the blue circled is not connected to the upper. should it be and where is the canp if so?? i grayed out the lines that were for the smog and egr
Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the purge valve gets hooked to a vaccum source on intake, but it is not necessary, you can leave it unhooked
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

where did you put your ACT sensor at?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

act is on the same exact spot as it was on the stock. also tapped a line in the back for the water return in the rear pass side of the lower. both 3/8 npt.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:16 AM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

does it matter where i put the pcv, fpr, and vacuum tree on the upper intake? there are alot of extra lines that arent used but plugged.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

vacuum test showed at idle about 12-14. when giving throttle, down to below 5.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

current upper vacuum line setup. i know the 3 text boxes cant be read. top 2 are plugged and the one in the middle is going in a loop

Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
j-wigg
2nd Gear Member

ran codes. getting koeo codes 85, 67, 53. 67 i am not conerned about for the clutch safety switch. 85 Canister purge solenoid circuit failure and 53 TP circuit above maximum voltage.

can anything electical give vacuum problems? that i have hooked up and unhooked?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: motor jumpy and stuttering after explorer intake install