5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Engine Build/Rebuilding Advice and Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Build/Rebuilding Advice and Help

I figure it's about time to start seriously hunting for some power, but I think I want to pick up a second motor and build/rebuild that on an engine stand in my garage.

Is there a good step by step book for this?

Is there a particular rebuild kit you'd suggest?

My goals for the motor are the same as most other peoples: a reliable daily driver that can handle most cars at stop light encounters. I'd love to be sitting in the mid 300's for torque and horse power.

Is there a particulare H/C/I set up you'd suggest?

Would moving up to a stroker be a bad idea? I was thinking maybe a 331?

I've been doing a fair amount of research, but I'd really like to hear from guys with a few smudges on their wrenches than some random article telling me about afr heads and the 400 hp they make.

Thank you for any and all help and advice.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

i would also like to know what a solid good simple build would be. this extra 302 is staring me in the face.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

I've rebuilt a few engines in my day, and I'll be replacing mine in the next year or so. What I can tell you from experience is, it will cost you more in the long run to have quality machine work on the block, and to purchase and install a kit (stroked or non-stroked). An assembled short block from a reputable shop is the way to go. If you want the satisfaction of building it yourself, check out Woody's "Do It Yourself Liberator Shortblock Assemblies" @ http://www.fordstrokers.com/diy-liberator-short-blocks/. You can't beat the price. You can also have a custom ground cam through Camshaft Innovations, then you'll have one sweet shortblock. Add a good set of heads and you won't have too many problems at the traffic lights. If you are building a motor from scratch, there's really no reason not to go 347?.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 PM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
I've rebuilt a few engines in my day, and I'll be replacing mine in the next year or so. What I can tell you from experience is, it will cost you more in the long run to have quality machine work on the block, and to purchase and install a kit (stroked or non-stroked). An assembled short block from a reputable shop is the way to go. If you want the satisfaction of building it yourself, check out Woody's "Do It Yourself Liberator Shortblock Assemblies" @ http://www.fordstrokers.com/diy-liberator-short-blocks/. You can't beat the price. You can also have a custom ground cam through Camshaft Innovations, then you'll have one sweet shortblock. Add a good set of heads and you won't have too many problems at the traffic lights. If you are building a motor from scratch, there's really no reason not to go 347?.
1599 for a shortblock...... and thats cheaper than rebuilding the one you have?
i think it was going to be 1200 after all my machine work and touching up the heads.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Catchpole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FLcracker9
Awesome, that's exactly what I need.

I heard that the 347's have issues with cooling, I'm not a hundred percent set on the 331 or anything because I know I still have a lot to research and learn.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:45 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

there are NO cooling, OR oil burning issues with the 5.315" rod 347 strokers... instead of listening to those who pass along internet rumor... try asking those of us who actually HAVE one
Old 04-26-2009, 02:56 PM
adam1993

after dealing with a machine shop i spent 5000 for forged crank pistons and rods its a 306 with a girdle jegs has crate motors that are fully dressed for the same or less i got a valve job cam dizzy 7 qt oil pan and the work was top of the line i still had to assemble it myself rings rods install the pistons fight the oil pick up get a bigger pan and work super late but im very happy with it but think aboult it
Old 04-26-2009, 07:34 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 84conversion50
1599 for a shortblock...... and thats cheaper than rebuilding the one you have?
i think it was going to be 1200 after all my machine work and touching up the heads.
We need more details on what's included in your $1200 rebuild?. The prices around here are $700 - $800 for block work (if done correctly). Then you add a Scat stroker kit @ $900, and you're at $1700 without balancing, or pressing the pistons on the rods?. $1200 may net you a basic rebuild with cast pistons, but it doesn't get you a balanced, forged piston shortblock that will handle the 350+ horsepower he's looking for.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adam1993
after dealing with a machine shop i spent 5000 for forged crank pistons and rods its a 306 with a girdle jegs has crate motors that are fully dressed for the same or less i got a valve job cam dizzy 7 qt oil pan and the work was top of the line i still had to assemble it myself rings rods install the pistons fight the oil pick up get a bigger pan and work super late but im very happy with it but think aboult it
Did you install that forged crank in your stock block?, if so, it was overkill ($$$). Was that what you wanted or did the machine shop convince you that you needed it? A stock 302 block will break long before a stock crankshaft will let go, therefore no need to go with a forged crank unless you step up to an aftermarket block?.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

no cooling issues on my 347 stroker

Quick Reply: Engine Build/Rebuilding Advice and Help