5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

xe264 cam with gt40 valve springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
kokanee

Default xe264 cam with gt40 valve springs?

I have a comp xe264 cam and gt40x aluminum heads. I was wondering if I should upgrade the springs when I do my H/C/I. The specs are pretty close for the gt40 and recomended comp springs:

gt40 = 110lbs@1.82, 240lbs@1.40

recomended comp 986-16 = 117lbs@1.80, 244lbs@1.40

The car will be a daily driver, no track time. I'm not worried about the lift with the gt40's since the cam only has 0.512 lift but I'm wondering if the springs are stiff enough? Has anyone ran the gt40 springs with this cam and have they had any problems? I hate to upgarde them if I don't really have to.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

replace the springs. new cam = matched springs otherwise you wont reach your cams full potential. will they work? sure...but not like how they are supposed to.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

ill tell you what i was told from a summit tech and then again what i was told on here. the guys at summit told me when i upgraded to a NX-274-HR comp cam, that the only problem i would have would only come into play depending on what tranny i had. if i was running a 5 spd. i would need to worry about over-revving and pushing my springs past there coil capacity. but i run an auto. so i dont have that problem. the guys on here say that you need to match your springs with the cam. seat pressure, lift specs, and so on. i do believe that with your spring specs youd be ok. i had a friend put a
B303 cam onto a set of bone stock heads and never changed anything and it runs fine. so with that said i dont think you'll have a problem. and even with ptv clearence, i think you'll be fine there too.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by mustangmike33
ill tell you what i was told from a summit tech and then again what i was told on here. the guys at summit told me when i upgraded to a NX-274-HR comp cam, that the only problem i would have would only come into play depending on what tranny i had. if i was running a 5 spd. i would need to worry about over-revving and pushing my springs past there coil capacity. but i run an auto. so i dont have that problem. the guys on here say that you need to match your springs with the cam. seat pressure, lift specs, and so on. i do believe that with your spring specs youd be ok. i had a friend put a
B303 cam onto a set of bone stock heads and never changed anything and it runs fine. so with that said i dont think you'll have a problem. and even with ptv clearence, i think you'll be fine there too.

i did the same thing on mine and guess what? valve float..... advice is used to properly inform someone therfore "advising" them to do the right thing. when you are talkin about someone elses stuff you should always tell them the correct thing to do. no "well it worked for this guy" because you know what...it'll bite you in the *** one day when it doesnt work out so well for you. i mean come on! would you risk damaging your 1000+ heads/valvetrain or even your motor just because you are too damn cheap to do things how they should be done the first time?

where is joel's quote when you need it
Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

thats true, but the only reason i said that was to show how big a difference in the cam, from stock to b cam. with no changed and with his motor no problem. with his heads he shouldnt have any problems at all. not saying he shouldnt change the springs at all, just saying that if money doesnt permit it right now he should still be fine until he can afford it. thats all. not everyone can afford to pour tons of money into a car at the drop of a hat. im the first to tell you that, because i was in not no shape financially to change my springs with my cam swap, from b cam to the previous comp. and turns out didnt need to, so there you have it. but in all honesty, yeah you should change your springs to the reccomended specs. no argue on that. but, imo, i think you'll be fine using the ones you have. thats my opinion, everyone has one. if it was mine, you already know what id do!!
Old 04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

if you're smart you'll wait to do it right.

i also cant pour tons of money into my projects. otherwise i wouldnt have a stock bottom 302 using worked 289 heads, knock ported typhoon intake and a comp cam. will it be quick? yea. is it a normal build? no because money doesnt permit. i too understand not everyone can spend tons of money on a project...but there are certain things that should be done correctly...valvetrain being one of them.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:48 PM
mustangmike33
2nd Gear Member

anyway, not to steal this thread, but how did your neighbors turbo turn out? i was reading about it when you all first started that thread, but i lost it somewhere, i didnt subscribe to it, to i couldnt find it anymore. so did it run pretty good? everyone i know was saying those ebay turbos are junk, but then again i see more and more people running them. alot of people must not believe what they say, if they run them after the dog them. anyway, just wondering. now back to the cam question. your right about the valvetrain. theres not fight in that!! lol.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ebay turbo kits are junk. the turbo he bought off ebay was just the head unit and wasnt made from that cheap *** thin stainless steel and ran perfect. dyno'd at 342rwhp and 408lbs tq @12psi. it was a very conservative tune and low boost. he could have pushed it much much higher. and let me tell you, 400+lbs of tq kickin in at at 4100rpms is a lot of fun. feels like a damn rocket. it sold on ebay the other day for a very disapointing amount 5500 dollars.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmike33
...."There is never money to do it right, but there's always money to do it over"....

That information (all of it, including Summit's) is misinformation..... typical "let me tell him what he wants to hear so I can process the order ASAP" approach.

I have worked stock valve springs failures with alphabet and Stg 1 cams, one required new pistons, heads and cam. I have also worked on conical springs failures using an E-303.... just like this one. Setting the valve train correctly, also includes providing for over-revving situations....

Even if an aftermarket cam lift is .020" over the stock cam, the valve springs need to be upgraded, there's more to valve train control, and possible failures, than "spring lift limitations".
Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 PM
kokanee

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to order the comp springs just so that I don't have to worry about anything.

Quick Reply: xe264 cam with gt40 valve springs?