5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

bad headgasket maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:12 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default bad headgasket maybe?

my car keeps squirting/overflowing the reserve tank at wot, earlier i decided to take out car for a cruise and after a couple of pulls and a small stand still car started to overheat the highest it reached was one line before the red one so i got home and opened hood and had s mess of coolant where it squirted out everywhere so i pulled lever on radiator cap to let pressure out and while i was doing that there was a strong smell like smoke coming out of the reserve tank with the bubbles bubbling up and it did that for about 5 mins and i had also noticed that my radiator hoses where sucked in both of them bottom and top but once i pulled radiator cap off they went back to normal, so i started to put water on reserve tank and engine started sucking it back in till it filled up and i put radiator cap back on and started car so i can put it in garage and when turned it off i go check radiator cap and once i opened it it made a hizz sound and looked at the water and it was whitesh like with foam and car was only on for like a min. Does this sound like a bad headgasket or radiator
Old 05-01-2009, 04:29 AM
94ford5liter
4th Gear Member

Could be the radiator, but could also be the head gasket if it is overheating like that. Do you see any coolant or oil dripping out the bottom of the heads? Also check the color of your oil, and if it is a milky color its your head gasket. Do you feel any loss of power or shakiness at certain rpms?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Bad themostat that is not opening ???

If the water pump is pulling the water and it can not get through the engine, I would think it would suck the hoses closed like you noted. Also it would overheat as the coolent would not be flowing fast enough.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

my thermo is new and my oil is not milky and the coolant is normal, but what i did notice also is that it builds up pressure quick in the radiator even if car is cold and i start it for less than a min and turn it off and go pull radiator cap and it makes a hizz sound, im going to get me one of those block test kit to test coolant to see if there is any exhaust gas escaping into water ports, does any body know if autozone rents these
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

i did an block check test and it says that the blue chemical is suppose to turn yellow if i have exhaust leaking into the coolant but it never changed color one thing i did notice was after the test i took it for a drive and came back to try it again and when pulled lever on car it did its mess and spilled then once it was done i took cap off and the coolant went low all of a sudden then came back up like if it was burping air out it did this like 3 times then i refilled it with water took it for another drive and same thing again could this mean i have air trapped inside still
Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

You could have a air lock.

Let car cool, then run car with radiator open and be ready to add water or coolant. Eventually the air will purge out and you should be straight.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

normally when it has air in the system the heater will not get hot, check heater output.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

i dont have a heater, what else should i looked into, what else can cause my reserve tank to overflow under wot and create alot of pressure, im going to keep trying to burp it
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 PM
08 Bullitt 2310
2nd Gear Member

Radiator cap
Old 05-02-2009, 12:09 AM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

radiator cap is new thats what i thought it was at first

Quick Reply: bad headgasket maybe?