5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 Master Rebuild Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Question 302 Master Rebuild Kit

Hey there. New here, and looking for some information.
I just purchased a 1988 GT that's in great condition. The guy claimed it had the engine rebuilt about 30,000 miles ago, but after further inspection after purchasing the car. The only thing we found to be new was a BBK Intake, BBK Breather, and BBK Headers, along with new Spark Plugs. While driving around a Knock, or a tick randomly started occurring. Nothing big, as I knew I was going to be rebuilding the engine soon anyway. I just didn't think it would be 4 days after buying the car.
I've been looking around online with a friend for 302 Master Engine Rebuild Kits and came across this;

http://www.perfectengine.com/Ford_30...th-mkf302a.htm

Just looking for some input on it before I purchase. My friend who is basically a Ford mechanic said it would be a good buy, and if so, I will be purchasing it sometime this week.
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

make sure the noise is not a header gasket leak
Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

Forged pistons would be the only way I would go if rebuilding. At that price I would assume those are not forged.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

The problem I'm having is that it's not getting oil to the top of the engine.
I planned on rebuilding it and I have $900 coming in this week, granted my spending limit would be about $550-$600 max, including Machine Shop Work on the heads.
I didn't figure there would be Forged Pistons. Figured I could always replace those later. Right now what I'm basically going for is having my car in strong running condition, not having to worry about too much about problems a few months down the road, hence the rebuild.
Anyone have any links to great Master sets WITH Forged Pistons around $400 or so? I know, heavy request. Just seeing what I can find.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

You may want to consider these kits as well.

Hypereutectic
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku

Forged
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku
Old 05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

I'm liking that Forged Set. Wouldn't mind going with that, but I'm just wondering about the rate a machine shop charges to re-work the heads. My Ford buddy told me it's around $90 an hour and would take about an hour and a half, 2 hours.
Hm. Any other cheap/useful parts that could be added in while we're already down there? Forgive my knowledge of Cars, or lack-there-of. Just getting into everything. I know the basics, but when it comes to the more advanced stuff..
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

ARP rod bolts, ARP main bolts.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

if you have had the car for less than 7 days, you can use the lemon law. return the car to him in the "as purchased" condition, and legally he HAS to refund you the money
Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

How about a set that comes with the Oil Pump Drive Shaft, Camshaft, Lifters, Timing Chain and Gears?
My buddy told me Lifters are one of the main things we're going for, but figured we'd re-do everything else while we're under there anyway.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Mattalicious
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
if you have had the car for less than 7 days, you can use the lemon law. return the car to him in the "as purchased" condition, and legally he HAS to refund you the money
Good to know.
I bought the car as a project car, basically. So repairs aren't of too much concern to me. I knew I'd have to do some stuff to it.
And I love how it looks/the condition that it's in.
But thanks.

Quick Reply: 302 Master Rebuild Kit