5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 build plan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Gator
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toofst4u666
casnt afford a custom cam there isnt any cam that would work with the motor? its only for street use i jus want an idle that makes ppl know it aint no joke
If you dont get the rite cam, the engine WILL be a JOKE, no matter what it sounds like. I would rather my engine purr and run correctly, than be lumpety-lumpety and run like ***. I understand having a budget or no budget, but with the parts you already have I would just wait and build this thing rite the first time, cause it sounds like the way its headed youll end up with a 347 that sounds mean, but would get beat buy a bolton 302.

My suggestion would be, send the 347 kit back to summit. then you will have 1500 bucks, take the block do a 306 rebuid with oem style forged flat tops, Have a custom cam built for the 306, get upgraded valve springs and retainers for the procomps, Buy an intake for the combo, your cam builder should be able to suggest an intake., get all the little stuff push rods, lifters, gaskets, a better carb., oil pump etc....
or keep what you have minus, timing gears, intake, carb.
and just build it when you have the money to do it rite.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM
JD5.0stang
1st Gear Member

i agree, the trickflow stage 2 would work well for the set up. and i have a friend who had that cam and a carb that was too small for his 347 and he changed to the summit 750 that was mentioned in the last post, he said it was like a different car. he made 346 at wheels on the dyno
Old 05-26-2009, 08:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^I made more than that with a chumped out xe 282 cam and an OTB AIR GAP intake and standard classic 650 carb, however I realized the errors of my way and that top half and cam are now out of it, still waiting to see what it'll do, so far it pulls like no other with the new set up
Old 05-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gator
If you dont get the rite cam, the engine WILL be a JOKE, no matter what it sounds like. I would rather my engine purr and run correctly, than be lumpety-lumpety and run like ***. I understand having a budget or no budget, but with the parts you already have I would just wait and build this thing rite the first time, cause it sounds like the way its headed youll end up with a 347 that sounds mean, but would get beat buy a bolton 302.

My suggestion would be, send the 347 kit back to summit. then you will have 1500 bucks, take the block do a 306 rebuid with oem style forged flat tops, Have a custom cam built for the 306, get upgraded valve springs and retainers for the procomps, Buy an intake for the combo, your cam builder should be able to suggest an intake., get all the little stuff push rods, lifters, gaskets, a better carb., oil pump etc....
or keep what you have minus, timing gears, intake, carb.
and just build it when you have the money to do it rite.
He wants 400 hp and a nice thumping idle. It isn't all about time slips to some people. 400hp is a very respectable street car regardless if it's not optimal. I've had customers not care if their car made 300hp as long as it sounded good. It's all about what the car owner wants. He can get to his goal easily and inexpensive. Like I said it's not optimal by any stretch of the imagination but it will still move. I know a guy running low 11's with almost the identical combo (but using the TFS Stage 3 cam). I bet he doesn't have 6K in the entire car. He has a blast, its hard to argue with that.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
^^^I made more than that with a chumped out xe 282 cam and an OTB AIR GAP intake and standard classic 650 carb, however I realized the errors of my way and that top half and cam are now out of it, still waiting to see what it'll do, so far it pulls like no other with the new set up
I guess you did. You have AFR185's(far superior) and the XE282HR is a better cam than the TFS stage 2. You need to get a few time slips before you start raving about the new cam. You also opened up your intake as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Gator
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Portmaster
He wants 400 hp and a nice thumping idle. It isn't all about time slips to some people. 400hp is a very respectable street car regardless if it's not optimal. I've had customers not care if their car made 300hp as long as it sounded good. It's all about what the car owner wants. He can get to his goal easily and inexpensive. Like I said it's not optimal by any stretch of the imagination but it will still move. I know a guy running low 11's with almost the identical combo (but using the TFS Stage 3 cam). I bet he doesn't have 6K in the entire car. He has a blast, its hard to argue with that.
I agree with you 400hp is 400hp no matter how its built, I was just suggesting the 306 since he was only looking to get 400hp, just a way to save 1500 bones. also remember his block is a 73 model, and these cams being suggested are roller. Unless hes got retro fit roller setup, but i didnt read that anywhere.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gator
also remember his block is a 73 model, and these cams being suggested are roller. Unless hes got retro fit roller setup, but i didnt read that anywhere.
You are right, I missed that. He could still do it with a mech flat tappet if he didn't want to spring for a retrofit Hyd roller. Prob make a little more power. His converter is going to hold it back. Either that or hunt down a Roller block.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:53 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

camshaftinnovations is selling crane link bar lifters for $369

talk about a deal!
Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2

talk about a deal!
Solid or Hyd?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Gator
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2

talk about a deal!
That would be the first place to look if you are wanting a custom cam, I had one ground from them last year, along with trick flow heads, lifters, timing set, scorpion rockers. CI has great customer service, and is very knowlegeable.

Quick Reply: 347 build plan