5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Newbie With Engine Problem. needs help

Old 05-30-2009, 12:24 PM
l30ss_2u

Default Newbie With Engine Problem. needs help

Hello Mustang owners.

Well this is my nightmare.

I think my 1995 5.0 engine has seen the last of its days but I'm not sure. I am 18, so I don't know too much, so here's what i know. I bought this car about a year ago and the car when I first bought it had some overheating issues. The guy that sold it didn't have enough money to "fix it". Retard was running it without oil. So i bought a somewhat modified car for 1200 because the guy thought the heads were bad, but it just needed oil. The car does NOT have an oil stick because BBK headers were put in, so there is no way of checking the oil. The car was kept running really strong after that.

4 months later i changed the oil again because i knew it was burning some oil. Last month I changed the oil again but yesterday a lot of white smoke came off the mufflers ( car was at 3/4 of temp already). I drove it for like a mile to some place and let it sit for about 4 hours. turned it on to go home and no white smoke came out. When I was about to get to my friends house (less than 1 mile) the engine temp went to 3/4 again and the engine started making crackling noises. turned it off let it cool and drove it to my friends house. i know the car did this because it probably had no oil. it never consumed that much oil before and i don't drive it very much. maybe 5 miles every m-f that month. at the end i became the retard.

so...........

Can the engine be fixed? if it can, how much? what can be the cause of it consuming oil, maybe leaking?

If the engine is not fixable

is it better to get a 1993 5.0, i heard their faster than the 95s. how much would it cost? do they even fit in the 95. if they fit would the same headers fit. and what about stroking the engine. since the engine its gonna be out i would like to make it to 347. can a stock clutch handle that much power. my car also has a 93 transmission, it was made from automatic to manual and they put a 93 transmission. how much would it cost to stroke it?

hope someone helps with this. by the way i ain't got 2 much money. right now i am about the same level as homeless, so I would like realistic answers
thanks.

First thread. hell yeah. the only good thing about yesterday is that i went to the track and there were some sick mustangs. by the way i didnt run it.

srry 4 being 2 long.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well if you want reality and have no money then there SHOULD BE NO one here that'll tell you to stroke it because that requires money which you say you don't have so the only relavant question in this post is YOUR OIL CONSUMPTION issue......IF IT HAS BEEN OVERHEATED IN THE PAST BAD, IT MAY HAVE a head gasket issue or a ring seal issue, you need to look for external oil leaks, and see how much oil in a 500 mile period the engine consumes, after you have an idea then we can start making valid assumptions and draw the appropriate conclusions
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM
zebo87
2nd Gear Member

your main seals could be bad also. check under the car where the transmission and engine are connected. if your rear main seal is bad you will have oil caked on your oil pan and on the bell housing and things like that.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:27 PM
l30ss_2u

Originally Posted by mjr46
well if you want reality and have no money then there SHOULD BE NO one here that'll tell you to stroke it because that requires money which you say you don't have so the only relavant question in this post is YOUR OIL CONSUMPTION issue......IF IT HAS BEEN OVERHEATED IN THE PAST BAD, IT MAY HAVE a head gasket issue or a ring seal issue, you need to look for external oil leaks, and see how much oil in a 500 mile period the engine consumes, after you have an idea then we can start making valid assumptions and draw the appropriate conclusions
Well. I haven't even come close to have driven the car 500 miles. and i dont think its gonna handle 500 miles from here on out until i fix it. The car is leaking oil. the oil is right below the intake and when i did an oil change, you could see the surroundings all fill with oil. So what would be your on cost in fixing the head gaskets? or am i better off with another engine?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

This may seem obvious but if the oil dipstick plug was never closed in the oil pan, it could be leaking out all the time, and that would cause low oil, and overheating. If you are short on oil, the excess heat will cause the low level of oil to burn. So that is where I would start.

There is no reason for a car not to have a dipstick. That is just redic. So start with that.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

new dipsticks can be bought at advance autoparts, autozone, schucks, kragen, checker.... etc

they are for a front sump pan, so you will have to cut the dipstick short. The best time to install it is when you are doing an oil change. this way you know that it has exactly 5 quarts of oil in it. and you can mark the new dipstick
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 PM
NotchAbove
2nd Gear Member

$25 bucks and chrome:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

Or hit the junkyard.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
l30ss_2u

Originally Posted by NotchAbove
This may seem obvious but if the oil dipstick plug was never closed in the oil pan, it could be leaking out all the time, and that would cause low oil, and overheating. If you are short on oil, the excess heat will cause the low level of oil to burn. So that is where I would start.

There is no reason for a car not to have a dipstick. That is just redic. So start with that.
It was sealed with some type of silicon, it doesnt leak from there.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:37 AM
zebo87
2nd Gear Member

if youre saying the oil is by the intake in the little pocket then check the o-ring on the distributor. it could also be the lower intake gasket is bad. ive seen that before and had oil collecting in the same spot.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 AM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

He realy needs to start by getting a new dip stick to find out how much oil is in it. I'd also look into seing if it has underdrive pullies on it as well. seeing that the previous owner put on headers and didnt bother putting in the dip stick. If it has underdrive pullies try to get a stock set from ebay or a junk yard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie With Engine Problem. needs help