5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

electric fan thermostat kit help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:29 PM
89foxmustang

Default electric fan thermostat kit help

i installed a spal electric fan with a thermostatically set switch for 180 degrees. It came with a new sending unit to install in to the lower intake manifold in the coolant port. Now I have no idea what temperature my car is running at. I just know that once I hit 180 the electric fan comes on. I just put in a turbo kit and now am running much hotter temps. How can I hook up the factor gauge again, without the sending unit being there? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
I already tried to put an eye connector on the stock wire going to the aftermarket sending unit, but it just grounds the aftermarket fan and turns it on all the time. I would love to use the stock temp gauge with the aftermarket sending unit...can someone please help me before i cook the internals of my car
Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
89foxmustang

the sensor i replaced had a red wire going to it. it was located in the front driver side of the lower intake...not the ect sensor located on the left of the lower intake.

doing more research...its the temp sending unit.....is there a way to make the one port to two ports? possibly putting some type of brass adapter in the hole to screw both the aftermarket sensor and the stock sending unit into the lower intake manifold?

Last edited by 89foxmustang; 06-14-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: add more info..
Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

You could always try to find something like a y pipe fitting etc. My advice though would be to put the temp sender back in, ditch that thermo switch, and just run something like a Jegs/Summit/Painless universal adjustable fan control. It basically has a little capillary tube you slip in between cooling fins in the radiator near the inlet, and it's wired through a controller with a **** you turn to adjust when the fan comes on.. I'm running a Jegs one that was like $27 and it came with connectors and some wire even, as well as mounting hardware(sheet metal screws etc). That way you can set your fan to come on only when you need it to, which may or may not coincide with the thermo switch you have now.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM
89foxmustang

i already have the thermo switch hooked up and it works wonders. I was looking and found a hose adapter made by autometer....im thinking i could move the sending unit to the upper radiator hose and keep the aftermarket one in the lower intake.

here is a link to the part..what do you think...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-2283/?image=large
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

It looks like it should work fine, but then you have to ask the question of why not a universal adjustable controller that's $10 less? If the extra $10 doesn't bother you then I don't see why not get that hose adapter. But if you wanna try and save even mroe money you could try something like a pipe supply place or even the home hardware store, and I bet you could find a pipe fitting that would let you put both sensors in the same fitting, and the same fitting in the intake/head.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FL...7/?image=large This is what I was talking about, in case you go that route.

When you consider that you're also gonna spend like $12 and handling from summit, you might seriously consider buying a fitting at the hardware store that'd probably be less than $10.

You have several options, and it just comes down to which one you want.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
89foxmustang

i think im going to put the stock sending unit back in the lower manifold and then use this hose adapter kit for the electric fan...since the coolant wont go through the upper hose until the thermostat opens, it should work perfect