5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Some issues with my Fox

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Reverend Sin

Default Some issues with my Fox

The first thing I think I should say is that I know absolutely nothing about cars, I purchased my Fox with the intention of learning as I go and I've learned a LOT in the last two weeks (I didn't know the difference between heads and headers for instance). It's technically my DD but I also don't have cause to drive very much at all, so I'll be doing a lot of work on it. (Got about 3,000$ set aside atm) But first I have some minor concerns that I hope can be alleviated.

First, I know the ball joint has been replaced once (front left), and I've recently noticed a clicking sound intermittently while I'm driving coming from that side of the car. Sometimes when I turn my wheel, sometimes not. It could be a completely unimportant issue but I don't want an issue that could cause future problems to go unresolved.

Second, when I bought the car the clutch pedal was incredibly stiff and has to be pushed all the way to the floor as far as you can possibly go before it will consider going into gear. I was concerned about the fact that it seemingly didn't want to go into first or second easily and ground on reverse when the car was on but the issue seems to have resolved itself mysteriously. From years of working with computers I know stuff doesn't just fix itself, but maybe this is a first? Or maybe I was just unused to driving a new 5spd with a tough clutch.

Third, the day before I flew out to Hawaii for vacation my starter died. We tested the battery and it was fine, pulled the fuses and couldn't find anything. Couldn't jump the starter either. The first night I had the issue I was able to push or "pop" start it and drove it for a half hour. When I returned home it wouldn't turn back over after I'd turned it off, just made a clicking noise and the AMP light turned on. Next day I was able to jump start it and drive it all day without requiring another jump. The day before I left it wouldn't even respond to a jump and seemingly could not get enough juice into the battery to turn it over.

Mechanic told me the battery is fine, starter is dead but he couldn't find the short (time issues with me leaving the state), he suggested that I buy a new starter and unplug the battery until I find the short. From browsing threads on this forum I've got the idea to check the grounds and the battery cables. It was also suggested that since I'm replacing the starter anyway I just upgrade to a Mini Starter.

I'll leave my questions about upgrades to another thread because A.) I'm not home anyway B.) I've already got a pretty good idea just from browsing the threads here and I really wont need specifics until I'm home and actively ordering parts anyway. But for now is there any advice anyone can give me on the three issues I have had thus far?

Last edited by Reverend Sin; 07-07-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 PM
89Mustangn00b
1st Gear Member

Ok the clutch issue is a pretty easy fix. Well 1 piece, clutch firewall adjuster, but its a PAIN IN THE @$$ to install. So just be patient. It'll make it so you barely have to touch the clutch to shift, very nice. Also dealing with the clutch, a lot of higher HP cars and muscle cars will use a stage 2 or 3 clutch and that is why it's stiffer than maybe a clutch in any other stick you've driven, I could be wrong but more than likely its a stage 2 clutch.

The issue with the ball joint doesnt really sound like a ball joint to me. Normally a ball joint going bad is when you hit a bump you'll hear it rattle. But i'm not entirely sure what the clicking is.

The starter issue may not be the starter at all. My brother had a similar problem with his 88 GT and all it was was the wiring harness for his alternator. Your battery may show a charge and be alright but it's a 5.0 engine and requires a lot of amps to start. He replaced the wiring on the alternator and no more problems.

Just some ideas to try. I'm no expert either. I was an c130 engine mechanic in the Air Force so I'm not a car expert just know tools and some general knowledge so don't take my word as Gospel
Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 AM
5.0stang123
2nd Gear Member

A thing to remember is that these are cable clutches not hydraulic, and they are more heavy duty then a 4 cylinder car for obvious reasons. Mine grabs about half way but it is some times hard to get into 1st and 2nd. Reverse you have to go into 1 or 5 then into reverse so you dont grind, its a common thing. The set up is self adjusting if you look in the manual it says to put it in first and lift up on the clutch with your toe and then put clutch to floor and if it clicks, it re adjusts it.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 AM
Reverend Sin

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll check the wiring on the alternator, though I know it was replaced not too long before I bought it, I also appreciate the info about the clutch, I was probably just being overly paranoid about it.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM
84conversion50
2nd Gear Member

if the car was jumped and it couldnt gain enough power that tells me either the batteries shot or you have a short.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Fox23
2nd Gear Member

The clicking noise could be your Cv Shafts. Check if the boots ( black plastic covers on the shafts are broken and leaking fluid. Normally when your boots are cracked and leaking fluid it will cause a clicking noise when turning corners. And if they are cracked you should get on the repair before u blow the shaft and not just the boot. If you dont know what a cv shaft/boot is just go to google images and search it. It will be located in the front end of the car and you can see them from the top of your engine bay if you look down on either side of your engine.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by Fox23
The clicking noise could be your Cv Shafts. Check if the boots ( black plastic covers on the shafts are broken and leaking fluid. Normally when your boots are cracked and leaking fluid it will cause a clicking noise when turning corners. And if they are cracked you should get on the repair before u blow the shaft and not just the boot. If you dont know what a cv shaft/boot is just go to google images and search it. It will be located in the front end of the car and you can see them from the top of your engine bay if you look down on either side of your engine.
would you like to show me a picture of cv joints/shafts on a fox? actually for that matter show me a cv shaft on any mustang.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 07-08-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Reverend Sin

Originally Posted by 84conversion50
if the car was jumped and it couldnt gain enough power that tells me either the batteries shot or you have a short.
Mechanic said the battery was fine and suggested there was a short as well, only problem was he couldn't find it. My guess would be the poorly installed sound system that the previous owner had set up, but I've been offered other suggestions as to what it might be. I have no clue though what kind of diagnostic tests to do to find out exactly where it's at. I'm going to run through the list of stuff I've read about here and see if I can figure it out though.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
would you like to show me a picture of cv joints/shafts on a fox? actually for that matter show me a cv shaft on any mustang.
lololol
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

i think fox23 needs to stop working on cars because of his statement above.

Quick Reply: Some issues with my Fox