5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

fan and radiator set up for me

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 12:35 AM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Default fan and radiator set up for me

I may have some money to replace my old radiator with a new one. I also want to do a elect fan set up.

What can you guys tell me about the best budget friendly set up. I think I want to go alum radiator but I dont want to go to high (expensive). What will fit good w little to no fabrication.

I heard a good way to go is get a elect fan from a tauras or something. Help me out guys, I want to do the elect fan on a relay or something so it goes on when it needs to , maybe also a manual switch when I want to turn it on.

Thanks guys.

Brent
Old 07-18-2009, 02:48 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

2" BeCool eliminator rad + Summit racing dual fans + Small sheet of alluminum =

That set-up cost me roughly 400-500, just broke a piece of aluminum on the top and bottom of the rad to make a couple brackets to hold the fans, polished them up, welded them on. Only thing I had to do, since for some reason it was a bit taller than the factory one, pull the rubber out of the top mount, and cut of the end of the mount with a dye grinder, bolted 'er down, good to go.

If you don't mind spending money on a controller, DCControl makes by far the best one, think it goes for about 135 or something, don't remember. Works great for me. Or you could wire it up to a relay and have the PCM power it. I don't remember off hand what pin you have to splice into.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:20 AM
87notch408
1st Gear Member

I had a Griffins radiator but the guy that had it before me screwed it up pretty bad. When I brought it to the radiator shop to have it cleaned all the stop leak came out, it was loaded with pinholes - Radiator is JUNK!
I just measured and ordered this radiator: http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...M-380431&dds=1
The fan I run is out of a 90's T-Bird 3.8, fits great and cools awesome.
The fan used to be hardwired but I have since picked this up: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-30104/ and will put it in when the engine goes back in.
I get the radiator Monday or Tuesday, I will let you know how it fits.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:17 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info fellas. Im still open to suggestions.....Im thinking maybe just run a stock radiator and spending majority of the $$ on the elect fan hook up. The only thing is weight of a stock rad versus a alum one.

Anyways, well see what happens, thanks all!
Old 07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
rbinck
1st Gear Member

In my Falcon I run a '89 Mustang 5.0 radiator that is alum cores with plastic end tanks. The fan I run is a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic fan made for Mustangs. Works very well on the 5.0L down here in Houston even in 100+ temps. Also it is more efficient than some other fans, so it taxes the alternator less.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:44 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

early 90's 3.8l taurus fan... highest flowing electric fan available that fits (kinda)
Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by domindart
....Im thinking maybe just run a stock radiator and spending majority of the $$ on the elect fan hook up.

Best radiator for the money. Especially on a mild engine.

As for a controller. Find an adjustable one that reads water temperature at the engine.
The set ups that probe the radiator (like I have) are not as good.

Then you adjust your OFF temperature to just above thermostat temperature.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Now if only I can sell my traxxas revo radio control truck, Id have some play money......... haaaa
Old 07-18-2009, 09:27 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by domindart
Thanks guys. Now if only I can sell my traxxas revo radio control truck, Id have some play money......... haaaa
pm me pics and specs... along with a price
Old 07-18-2009, 11:21 PM
domindart
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
pm me pics and specs... along with a price
will do.

Quick Reply: fan and radiator set up for me