5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How do you know if a manual trans in the junkyard is good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 AM
MaxEvian
1st Gear Member

Default How do you know if a manual trans in the junkyard is good?

I was once told by a so called mechanic the way to test a manual transmission in the junkyard was to throw it into gear. I was told to put it in every gear. If it lock into every gear chances are that it is good. I have a problem with this theory. My 1988 Mustang GT refuses to go into any gear but fourth when on. When off it will go into every gear with no problems. Obviously, his theory is flawed. I need help here. What is the proper method to test a manual trans in the junkyard?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:19 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You can't. Without the tranny spinning you will never know if the syncros are any good
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM
alan_scott

Most junkyards have a limited warranty but still, that doesn't cover your time.

I'd pull both plugs and have a look at the oil, see if there are any signs of shavings in it. The oil should have a nice red ATF color to it. Try to poke a long screw driver in there and gently feel for sludge in the bottom.

Also, put the tranny in each gear and turn the input shaft by hand (remember that the higher the gear, the more effort required at the input shaft) see if it feels smooth while turning. If it feels gritty, walk away.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

^^^no, no and no

none of those are signs for a non operating manual trans.

as you requested in your post
What is the proper method to test a manual trans in the junkyard?
here is a good way to go about what you are looking for.

best thing you can do is, look at miles, find somethin low on the od. if its 60k ish showing(could be a roll over so you'll never know)

pull the trans, pull the shifter, remove tail housing and trans cover. inspect the obvious, gear teeth for muchrooming and chips/broken teeth, then inspect the BLOCKER RINGS for signicant wear(teeth could still have a sharp edge) then look at the syncro teeth(attached to the gear itself, its all one piece) for significant wear.(should be sharp, not rounded, to still to be good.) then pull the bearing retainer and pull first gear and inspect the friction disk of the blocker ring. if it still is gritty and feels like its got potential grip....then its worth a try. if not then no need to tear down tranny any further and walk away.

worst case syncros and gears are good and trans just needs a simple rebuild kit and you have a perfectly good t5.

any other way is falsely informing you if the trans is still good. only way to know is manually inspect the compents removal and inspection should only take 2 hours-ish which includes removal of tranny from the car.

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 07-20-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:04 PM
MaxEvian
1st Gear Member

It sounds to me that anyone buying a used one already pulled or from a junkyard is taking a huge chance. I agree junkyard do give a warranty, but who wants to install, remove and then haul back a recently purchased trans?
Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

^^check my post(i modified it a few times for clarification.). you should be able to do this all at the j/y before you ever leave with simple hand tools.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Anyone who looks for a t-5 in a junkyard and lets sy you happen to find one...gauranteed it's toast, it's rare to find a t-5 out there that hasn't been abused, be prepared to rebuild one