5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick Flow twisted wedge heads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Default Trick Flow twisted wedge heads?

I have to ask this question just so I get a better understanding of what makes these heads so expensive. I found this listing on craiglists:

"trick flow twisted wedge heads in near mint condition payed 1300 for the a year ago used them for less than 6 months sent them to machine shop to have them checked for new engine but have since lost intrest spent 300 at shop for fresh 3 angle valve job setting proper spring hight and checking all guides and spring preshures im 1600$ into heads will take 1000$ these look brand new if i dident tell u they were new u would never no there still in bags from machine shop"

Would these heads work well if I was doing a H/C/I swap to upgrade engine or will I see the most benefit once the car gets a supercharger?

Also, what is the advantage of a "3 angle valve job"?

And finally, is a $1000 a good deal on those heads with them coming with said 3 angle valve job fresh from the machine shop?

Thanks,

Patsfan
Old 07-20-2009, 08:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

3 angle is standard = nothing special...5 angle is competiton.....they are no more expensive than any of their comparable competitors
Old 07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
3 angle is standard = nothing special...5 angle is competiton.....they are no more expensive than any of their comparable competitors
Would these heads be a good combo with an F 303-cam and a ported GT40 intake?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 PM
killamaniac
1st Gear Member

custom cam! no letter cams, theyre are way better cams for the money, get some Comp cams or TFS stage 2 if you dont want a custom grind (although custom grind is best.)
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 PM
91 Fox 331
1st Gear Member

I ran those same heads but with a TFS track max cam and a Track Heat intake. Those are nice heads, i even think im going to buy another set on my new motor but CNC ported. I was going to sell mine after i had them ported for 1000 so fresh out of a machine shop thats not a bad price. Machine work aint cheap to begin with so a fresh valve job and havin everything else looked at, i would prolly buy them for a new set of heads.
Ask him if they checked the heads for warpage though, al heads are more common for that.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Picking the right cam I guess is the big variable in this equation!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:30 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Even though your a Pats fan (I'm in So. FL, big Dolphins fan), I won't hold it against you, and I'll still offer my advice. It's not a bad price for freshly re-worked TW heads, but I would question why the heads needed a complete valve job after only 6 months????. Again, if they are that new and fresh, they would be worth it. I picked up mine on the Corral, brand new, never bolted on a motor, with studs, hardened pushrods, and Ford Racing roller rockers, for $1200 shipped to the house. As far as being more expensive than others, you can't compare them to Pro Comps, or any of the other foreign made aluminum heads. The TFS heads are better quality, and therefore, cost more. Even with the TFS, AFR, and other name brands, the springs/retainers leave a lot to be desired as they all skimp in this area to try and keep cost down. The TW heads will work great with your HCI swap.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

OK here's where I'm at with these heads. I did follow up with the guy as to why he had the valve job done on such new heads. He told me that he was going to build a bigger and better engine and when he does a tear down he always has the heads redone whether they have 3000 miles on them or 30,000 miles on them. I've also got the price down to $800 so now I'm really close to pulling the trigger. I'm still waiting on the part # so I can research these heads so I know what CC they are. I don't want to go buy these heads and find out they were a smaller CC then I originally wanted. Finally I need to pick the right cam for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm going to start a new thread right now on that.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all the help and advice!

GO PATRIOTS!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Patsfan34
Would these heads be a good combo with an F 303-cam and a ported GT40 intake?
no, cam =....intake is outdated....and I'd see if those heads are stud mount or pedastal mount rockers, you'd want to start with stud at the very least
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Patsfan34
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
no, cam =....intake is outdated....and I'd see if those heads are stud mount or pedastal mount rockers, you'd want to start with stud at the very least
Thanks for all the help my friend! It is greatly appreciated! Ok, so now I know to forget the letter cams. Regarding the intake, that's all I got for now. I got it for dirt cheap and the only reason why I'm even considering buying these TF heads is cause I'm getting a redonkulous deal on them. If I can buy the correct cam for this set up and then down the road upgrade the Intake to something recent I think I'll be doing all right. If these are stud mount heads will I have to do anything at all to the bottom end? I know some have mentioned I may need new push rods and roller rockers but do I? My bottom end had approx. 121,000 miles on it. If I upgrade to the above set up w/out touching the bottom end what's the chances I'll blow a piston through the block?

I know alot of these questions you've guys answered a million times before, but I was brought up a Chevy guy and worked on numerous GM vehicles growing up and this is the first real Ford I'm trying to make into a nice daily sleeper! So before I start tearing down this stock engine and building it up I want to have my ducks in a row. My end goal I to have a nice rebuilt 302 with a Paxton that produces anywhere between 450-500 HP to the wheels!

Thanks again everyone for all your help an input!

Quick Reply: Trick Flow twisted wedge heads?