5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power Steering - Diagnosis???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default Power Steering - Diagnosis???

About two or three months ago I was on the highway in stop and go traffic and when I went to merge to the right lane from the middle lane, it became very difficult to move my steering wheel. It started from a stop going into 1st gear and then it just went away after a few seconds and everything was fine. I thought it had to do with some type of deformity in the road so I just ignored it.

That was the day I dropped my car off at a shop to have work done.

When I picked my car up a few days ago, everything was fine BUT when I pulled into a gas station (after an hour long traffic filled ride) and tried to maneuver my car next to the gas pump, it happened again for a few seconds. It happened going from a stop to 1st gear and reverse.

I know the shop had nothing to do with it because it happened BEFORE I dropped it off. I called the shop anyway and they told me that they didn't touch any power steering stuff and that I should check the fluid level. I checked the fluid and it was fine.

Any ideas, recommendations or suggestions on what this might be? Is this even a problem I should look in to?

If it is a problem, what can I do to diagnose it?

When I bought the car, the previous owner mentioned something about a Flaming River something. I believe it's just a shaft so I don't think that has anything to do with this situation.

Please advise - thanks!

My car is a 1987 LX 4 cylinder converted to a carbureted 351W.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
mgmuscari
2nd Gear Member

If the engine RPM's are low, the pump could be not producing enough power... is there an underdrive pulley on it or something?

EDIT:

Found this:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd278.htm

Are you sure he didn't change some other components with the shaft? Just doing the shaft seems kind of weird to me... The variable pressure pump sounds like it could be an explanation for varying power steering assist

Last edited by mgmuscari; 07-27-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: found a link!
Old 07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

flush out your PS fluid
Old 07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

^ that, mine keeps freezing up, and flushing it helped, but it not as much. Time for a new PS pump :S
Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mgmuscari
If the engine RPM's are low, the pump could be not producing enough power... is there an underdrive pulley on it or something?

EDIT:

Found this:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...rod/prd278.htm

Are you sure he didn't change some other components with the shaft? Just doing the shaft seems kind of weird to me... The variable pressure pump sounds like it could be an explanation for varying power steering assist
Hmmm - could be the low RPM's because it never happens during spirited driving. Not sure if the car has UDP's, I'm still learning about her as each day passes. I'm a newb to Fox bodies and carburetors, etc... (previously owned an 07 GT).

This is also the first manual car I've ever driven and I'm still learning. I've driven her a total of four times so I'm wondering if my sh*tty shifting has something to do with it too.

I'll also check the power steering fluid but I'm not exactly sure how to flush it - any recommendations???

Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by mAnYsTyLeS; 07-27-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Mine was doing that. I ended up putting a whole new steering system and suspension on the car. Havent gotten to drive it yet those since one of my pressure line fittings is leaking. I think the pump causes that issue since my pump made a lot of noise. I committed a sin and pump a GM type 2 pump in it. Mainly because it smaller and it looks better plus I got to use braided stainless lines.