5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Trick flow stage 2 cam Q?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:16 PM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

Default Trick flow stage 2 cam Q?

i need help pretty badly on this one i bought a trick flow stage 2 cam and here is my problem.I have a stock motor im working on alls im doing is polishing the stock crank reusing stock rods (replacing all bearings main/rod) using a set of speed pro flat tops with a slight bigger valve relief then stock. stock heads im porting my self drastically(taking out all valves and porting as much as possible along with the intake/exhaust runners) new bronze valve guides a set of very stout trick flow springs. and which leads me to the question will my cam clear the piston. i know you all have heard this before but i do not wanna invest in another set of head gaskets and putting either a tootsie roll or clay to measure my Piston to valve clearance. if you need the cam specs here they are this is straight from the cam card

at .000 lift intake - 339
at .000 lift exhaust - 352
at .050 lift with 1.6 rocker intake 542
at .050 lift with 1.6 rocker exhaust 563

avertised duration 286 degree intake
avertised duration 294 degree exhaust

every response is very greatly appriciated

ps. i know i know i shouldnt be using this cam with out the twisted wedge heads like its meant to be ran im just experimenting with it seeing what i can make this motor do hehe...
Old 07-28-2009, 11:50 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

gonna run like crap with the stock heads
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 AM
cottoncandymustang
1st Gear Member

got any experience with that before?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cottoncandymustang
nope. So do it and let us know
Old 07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

You don't have to waste head gaskets to check valve clearance... Just throw a set of checker springs on it, set the head with the headgasket down, snug the bolts up, rotate it and check your clearance w/ a dial indicator. Head gasket will only compress 0.010-0.020 at most, so just add that into your equation, or just set the dial indicator off by .020 even.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Personally, sounds like your gonna have ptv clearance issues, especially with flat tops. I had a tfs stage 1 and it ran well with my mild hci build. And for the heads....dont even bother porting them out, you can get 40s or 40ps for cheap....and save you alot of time. Or if your willing to put the best on go with a nice pair of aluminum heads. But either way, check your ptv clearance, better be safe than sorry.... It sucks ruining a brandnew motor...
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by cottoncandymustang
I can't speak for adder as whether he has done this in the past (I doubt he has, as he is not dumb), but most of us know and accept the FACT that the stock heads are garbage and porting them and sinking any money in them at all is a waist. I can understand working withing a budget, but that also means spending money wisely. If you have to, just put on the new valve spring and run the heads as is until you can get good ones. I am also thinking that you will run into PTV clearance issues, but the only way to tell is by checking. The right way is to buy checker springs and actually measure the PTV clearance.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

fyi op if those springs you have for that cam are dual springs , you will need to machine the heads/ spring pocket area and I've done an f-cam with stock heads = total waste
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Stg 2 cam is a Crane (RIP) Powermax grind (HR-224/339-2S-12). The intake is an X-303 lobe timed identical to the X-303 (which usually clears stock setups with IO: 5° BTDC @.050") + another exhaust lobe based on a chevy cam lobe master...... with EO: 1° BTDC @.050", it may not cause a problem.... but it needs to be checked.

Total valve lift has nothing to do with PtV possibilities, it's the partial lift of both valves during the exhaust to intake cycle changeover (overlap) that they could get "intimate".... and you should always check for that possibility in your setup regardless if someone else similar setup cleared + you should degree that OTS cam.

Regardless off the info above........ you are setting a grossly mismatched combo.... as you will find out.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:05 PM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

the problem could also be strock everything.... pushrods need to be changed, heads aswell i would start (like everyone said) gt 40 heads good hardend push rods, and a F cam will clear great. wait to put that cam in for a later date.

Quick Reply: Trick flow stage 2 cam Q?