5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Alternator Went Out, Help With An Upgrade?

Old 08-07-2009, 12:59 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default Alternator Went Out, Help With An Upgrade?

My alternator died last night and left me stranded. Becuase of this i would really like to get away from the stock 75a alt, and upgrade. I did some research on the forums and it seems the powermasters 140a is a pretty common replacement. I looked on summit to try to find them and came across several.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-57140/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-47140/

I am looking for something that will essentially just bolt on without a whole lot of extra work because electric is not my forte and i perfer to do simple swaps with anything electric. Will these both just swap right in?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 02:40 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

I had the Powermaster,it's a pain on the street your lights will still go dim at a red light.

Upgrade it to the 130AMP using the PA Performance kit.It's easy to do.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

is this the full kit?

http://www.pa-performance.com/Script...?idproduct=343

i have no problem with shaving the bracket, but what else will i need to do to install it?
Will i need any other parts other than what comes in that kit?
What will i need to do in the wiring department?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 03:42 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

if its like any other high power alt replacement, the wiring is pretty simple. get a good length of 2g wire, preferably something like you would use with an audio amp, they conduct the best.

part of the harness leading to the alt will have two rather thick(8g i believe) black wires leading to it, snip those out of the harness, crimp them together with whatever means you are comfortable with, and lead them to the post on the alt. the big thick 2g you bought also goes to the post, and then lead that end to the hot side of the battery, or the hot side of the starter solenoid, whichever is easier for you to do.

when i did mine on my 89 i used a 130amp from a Tbird that Adder picked up for me from his local junkyard, picked it up from him when I bought my spare T5 from him.

also, save yourself some time with the bracket shaving, don't use a dremel. get yourself a big angle grinder with a fine stone and be done in less than a minute.

Last edited by mattdel; 08-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Do you have a big stereo or electric fan?
Why do you want a higher amperage alternator?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

The PA Performanc alternator(Better than other 130amps) is ****. I bought that as well as the 4 gage wire with a 200 amp fuse. The directions they give are top notch, not to mention their customer service.

Their directions will explain every modification necessary. The PA Performance alternator already has threads in the top-most bolt location. They also provide the bolt for those threads. Unlike most 130 amp conversion posts you have read, the PA Performance alternators do not require tapping the thread size in the upper most bolt because it is already threaded.

As for the wires, you can cut the black w/ orange stripe wires(original power wires), but they can potentially overload if you have a huge amperage draw. Don't bother soldering connections on. The new 4 gage wire replaces these two 10 gage wires...

Of the two stock wiring harness plugs, the one with the two 10 gage black/orange wires get snipped. The white wire gets a new connector soldered on to connect to the alternator. The PA Perf. alt comes with said connector. Aside from that you just plug the other stock alternator connector into the alternator. Viola! You are done.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:49 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
if its like any other high power alt replacement, the wiring is pretty simple. get a good length of 2g wire, preferably something like you would use with an audio amp, they conduct the best.

part of the harness leading to the alt will have two rather thick(8g i believe) black wires leading to it, snip those out of the harness, crimp them together with whatever means you are comfortable with, and lead them to the post on the alt. the big thick 2g you bought also goes to the post, and then lead that end to the hot side of the battery, or the hot side of the starter solenoid, whichever is easier for you to do.

when i did mine on my 89 i used a 130amp from a Tbird that Adder picked up for me from his local junkyard, picked it up from him when I bought my spare T5 from him.

also, save yourself some time with the bracket shaving, don't use a dremel. get yourself a big angle grinder with a fine stone and be done in less than a minute.
My buddy owns a stereo shop so i can easily get my hands on some audio wire.
I thought that it was a fire hazard to tie those two wires 8g wires together?
I was definately planning on using a grinder =) and i have a diamond bit so it should go extremely quickly.

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Do you have a big stereo or electric fan?
Why do you want a higher amperage alternator?
I am working on a big stereo and i will be putting in an electric fan. Because the stock 75 has issues charging the system and i want a bigger one which will easily be able to manage anything i throw at it. battery's add up quick.

Originally Posted by Tony71502
The PA Performanc alternator(Better than other 130amps) is ****. I bought that as well as the 4 gage wire with a 200 amp fuse. The directions they give are top notch, not to mention their customer service.

Their directions will explain every modification necessary. The PA Performance alternator already has threads in the top-most bolt location. They also provide the bolt for those threads. Unlike most 130 amp conversion posts you have read, the PA Performance alternators do not require tapping the thread size in the upper most bolt because it is already threaded.

As for the wires, you can cut the black w/ orange stripe wires(original power wires), but they can potentially overload if you have a huge amperage draw. Don't bother soldering connections on. The new 4 gage wire replaces these two 10 gage wires...

Of the two stock wiring harness plugs, the one with the two 10 gage black/orange wires get snipped. The white wire gets a new connector soldered on to connect to the alternator. The PA Perf. alt comes with said connector. Aside from that you just plug the other stock alternator connector into the alternator. Viola! You are done.
Can you give me a link to that kit? I would love to just order a kit that has everything i need in it.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

The one you linked in your first reply is essentially what I have, only I bought them individually. Doh!

The black original power wires can be kept or removed. Keeping them requires putting eye terminals on them so they can be bolted to the alternator, of course.

PA Perf. calls for keeping the two black wires to ensure no circuits in the car are affected by removing them. The 4 gage wire + two black wires = less resistance than the 4 gage wire alone... It's not really a fire hazard. People just think it is.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:09 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

go to the parts store and get an alternator off of a 95 mustang.. dont waste your time and money on a PA alternator
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
The one you linked in your first reply is essentially what I have, only I bought them individually. Doh!

The black original power wires can be kept or removed. Keeping them requires putting eye terminals on them so they can be bolted to the alternator, of course.

PA Perf. calls for keeping the two black wires to ensure no circuits in the car are affected by removing them. The 4 gage wire + two black wires = less resistance than the 4 gage wire alone... It's not really a fire hazard. People just think it is.
So that kit has everything i will need then? Are you running both of the stock black wires?

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
go to the parts store and get an alternator off of a 95 mustang.. dont waste your time and money on a PA alternator
I would but my whole thing is i am not very electric savvy and i would rather spend the money for something thats almost bolt in when it comes to this than mess around trying to make a custom setup. Plus if i go that route, i can call PA and ask them why the hell my car won't work instead of bashing my head in my fender.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator Went Out, Help With An Upgrade?