5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

And boom went the expansion tank!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default And boom went the expansion tank!

Well it happened. My plastic radiator expansion tank cracked and just fell apart so I'm in the market for a new one!

So what would you guys recommend? I'm always up for an upgrade!

Also, anyone in the AZ area want to help me with a MAF conversion? The first part sounds pretty easy but I'm not understanding anything after step 3. Haha.

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

That is what I'm following. Plus I'd really rather not mess up something I have never done. I learn better by watching an example of it being done.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dj_Seph
Well it happened. My plastic radiator expansion tank cracked and just fell apart so I'm in the market for a new one!

So what would you guys recommend? I'm always up for an upgrade!

Also, anyone in the AZ area want to help me with a MAF conversion? The first part sounds pretty easy but I'm not understanding anything after step 3. Haha.

http://www.stangnet.com/tech/maf/massairconversion.html

That is what I'm following. Plus I'd really rather not mess up something I have never done. I learn better by watching an example of it being done.
Look into BeCool. Eliminator series rad is nicely priced (just over 200 it cost me if I remember correctly), fit pretty good (about an inch taller than stock, just have to cut the top mounts a bit, and pull out the rubber on the top, simple modification) Holds my 408 w/ a 180 thermostat @ 190 in 30 degree weather. So I'm happy.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

get an aluminum radiator
Old 08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

That would be the plan. Just wondering what you guys recommended. What do you guys think about Mishimoto? O.o
Old 08-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Foxbody87
1st Gear Member

I'm running a mishimoto kit with alum. rad. and electric fans, and its working great for me so far. even ran it down the 1/8 track a couple times with a plastic A&W root beer bottle as a temp overfolw can, lol (since replaced with a plastic/composite Morosso overflow).
Old 08-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Hm. I may go that route but it depends on how cheap the BeCool is. Also, the motor will be turbo soon. How many cores should I go for?

And should I get a plastic overflow tank or an aluminum one?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 AM
boonedj
1st Gear Member

Hm. I may go that route but it depends on how cheap the BeCool is. Also, the motor will be turbo soon. How many cores should I go for?

i would go for a aluminum one, the stock one is like $140 at bell ford!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Mine is 2. 2 1" rows, in reality they're about 1 1/8"ish, so a little bit bigger than they advertise, all in all I'm real happy with the rad. BeCool is a newer company, but they have an excellent name, lots of racers seem to be going with them now'a'days instead of a company like griffin.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Ok. Thanks for all the help! I'll be going with BeCool then. Nothing but good reviews on the net. But I was wondering if they sell an overflow tank also. Can't find anything on that?

Anyone can link me?
Old 08-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Ok. Thanks for all the help! I'll be going with BeCool then. Nothing but good reviews on the net. But I was wondering if they sell an overflow tank also. Can't find anything on that?

Anyone can link me?
I'm sure they do but don't get it. It will be incredibly expensive through them. Local performance shop ordered a BeCool Rad cap for a guy, said it was $50 just for the cap to give you an idea of what an overflow will be worth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: And boom went the expansion tank!