5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Power loss, hesitatation, sputter, chug

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM
deceiver

I would suggest cleaning your mass air, check your wiring, if you moved the harness it may be something not hooked up right. Also make sure your map sensor(bp sensor on MAF cars) is not hooked up to vacuum.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/
This site has a ton of info, I used it extensively when I swapped my motor over.. I put a 90 mustang efi setup in a 95 f150.

Originally Posted by richabilly
well no responses thus far. Discovered something about all this between last night and this morning. You see when it does it to my truck, it does it for a long time -- or tends to stay that way. I tried turning off my car at a stoplight and when i turned it back on it cleared up -- everything was normal. I did this a few times, and 4 out of 5 times, it worked just fine. Does this narrow down what it could be?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Skanesystang

Originally Posted by g2_5point0
Does your car only do that when hot? I have similar problems. When cold, it accelerates like a champ, but after driving for a few miles in this heat, it starts to act up. From a stop, I can't rev it too high or else it cuts out real hard, as if the gear popped out. When in motion and constant, it'll sputter for a fraction of a second, right?

I am convinced it's ignition related and not fuel related for me. Ive changed my stator, the TFI module was changed earlier this year (Before the stator) and now im looking to change my coil.

I'd bet your problem is more heatsoaked stuff than it is fuel related
hey my car is doing the exact same as your description I can't find out what it is I've been trying for months please get back to me your the only one I've seen with this !!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Skanesystang

When cold, it accelerates like a champ, but after driving for a few miles in this heat, it starts to act up. From a stop, I can't rev it too high or else it cuts out real hard, as if the gear popped out. When in motion and constant, it'll sputter for a fraction of a second My car is doing this I've been trying to figure out what is wrong for months anyone that can help !!!?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:51 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

It's better to just start a new thread than dig up old ones. That way we don't have to read 17 pages to help you. And the guy you quoted hasn't been on here for a year and a half lol. Start a new thread and then we'll see if we can help.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Skanesystang

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
It's better to just start a new thread than dig up old ones. That way we don't have to read 17 pages to help you. And the guy you quoted hasn't been on here for a year and a half lol. Start a new thread and then we'll see if we can help.
Hey sorry just not really sure how to start a new thread ! Pretty new to this thanks a lot for the reply though !
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Rookie77

I had a similar problem with my 89 GT, at idle it ran fan and would rev out no problem. But under a load it would spit and sputter and backfire. My issue was a simple fix, it turned out to be a melted plug wire. It burnt through rite at the plug, had to modify the header for more clearance. After a new set of plugs and wires she is back to passing everything but the gas staition

Originally Posted by cholericfc
The car will start up fine and idle perfectly. When I head down the driveway it drives fine too. However, under any kind of load or increased throttle, the car will backfire or hesitate. The rpms will not increase when the accelerator peddle is pressed. Its not u-joints, otherwise the rpms would increase, so that ruled out. If I press down on the peddle from a 1900rpm cruise in 4th gear, it'll sputter, chug, and the car will jerk - THEN it'll recover and get some power back. When taking off from a stop, I can't really go past 2500rpms when shifting, otherwise I'll hear/feel the problem.

This problem was noticed every once in a while during each week, now its every time I drive it.

I have a 1990 Mustang with a 302 crate motor with a Bcam, installed about two years ago. I've put about 10,000miles on it. Just recently had an oil change. Everything mechanical is new on the car except for the following: fan, fan clutch, wiring harness, fuel lines, distributer, and a rebuilt T5 with a 3 year old clutch. The fuel pump is 155lph.

The last time I checked my timing was two years ago. The idle was surging recently, so I did an idle setting procedure and raised the throttle to about 800-950rpms.

My mechanic said the problem is all motor and that the driveline on the car is fine. He told me to replace the spark plugs, distributer cap and rotor, and spark plug wires. The car ran noticeably better. BUT the problem still exists. I don't know what i'm doing when it comes to the internal workings of a motor, but I do understand how things move. I guess I need to pull the valve covers off and fix/replace something broke there or the cam is bad. But everythings new, I just don't get it.

While I'm at it, I have no adjustable fuel regulator on this car and I wonder if the engine has been getting too much fuel most of the time.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:12 AM
leight2691

Default hesitation issues

I have been having hesitation and sputtering issues myself. When i go up hill or even when im on flat ground it will start to sputter and lose power. The rpm's will drop and the engine will bog down and then after a second it will jerk and take off. I have replace everything air filter, spark plugs and plug wires. I cannot find the issue anywhere. I had a mechanic plug a computer to it and it said the camshaft position sensor was bad. Well i changed it and nothing changed. I NEED EXPERT HELP! getting real tired of fighting with it
Old 01-16-2015, 01:48 AM
Cathym

Default Help please

have a 95 Ford Mustang it surges and then dies when in gear and then when going down the road it still surges and will not hit 3rd or 4th gear what could be the problem?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cathym
have a 95 Ford Mustang it surges and then dies when in gear and then when going down the road it still surges and will not hit 3rd or 4th gear what could be the problem?
See reply #164

And welcome to the forum.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:26 PM
Rmassey86

Default Rpm issues

I have a 89 fox and have spent countless dollars on getting it just how I want my latest issue and maybe someone out there knows what it is because I don't and can't seem to figure it out ok my mustang starts up and idles good till I accelerate and it won't go above 3,000rpms but if I shut it off and start it again it clears up and takes off like it was built to do it's weird I've replaced everything from egr valve selenoid to wires spark plugs maf sensor I'm lost someone help thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power loss, hesitatation, sputter, chug