5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Attempting Diagnosis on Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Attempting Diagnosis on Shifting Issue

Ok, so back again with the shifting issue in my 95 GT.

So it's getting hard to shift again. Here's the issue.

1. When clutch is all the way out I hear a chirping sound, kind of like worn out serp belt but it comes from near where the clutch cable goes in the firewall. If I push softly on my clutch pedal, not enough to engage it while I'm driving the chirping goes away.

2. From a dead stop neutral into 1st I literally have to use two hands to shift into gear, once I'm going it's a little easier.

3. The worst part. In order to get out of my parking lot I need to back up. When I put it into reverse not only is it hard to move the shifter when I get it into reverse I hear a loud CLUNK and the car shakes, this happens every time I shift into reverse followed by a grind almost as if the clutch isn't fully engaged.

4. When the car is off it's perfectly easy to shift, no hard shifting at all, the tranny fluid is brand new and the clutch is less than 5k miles old.

I only have one conclusion, the clutch cable is shot. I feel that this maybe the reason since the chirping sound. But I don't know, so I will replace the cable. NOTE, don't know how to do it but I hear it's not bad. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the chirp sound is the throwout bearing inside the bellhousing, you're probably hearing the sound resonate up the cable. the cable is, well, just a cable. it has no moving parts on it that are capable of producing noise.

as for the problems, i'd start off with a new adjustable cable and a new quadrant, and go from there.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
the chirp sound is the throwout bearing inside the bellhousing, you're probably hearing the sound resonate up the cable. the cable is, well, just a cable. it has no moving parts on it that are capable of producing noise.

as for the problems, i'd start off with a new adjustable cable and a new quadrant, and go from there.
That's odd, the bearing came with my clutch kit and was replaced. But your answer really only leaves that being the option... Will a faulty bearing effect shifting?

EDIT

From what I know the throw out bearing makes a noise when the clutch it depressed, in my case it only makes noise when no depressed at all? Would a pilot bearing be possible?

Last edited by Witzy; 08-16-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It could and, just because you replaced it with a new one doesn't mean you won't have a problem. My previous 00 V6 ride had 92K miles of problem free driving on the OEM clutch. I had it replaced for precautionary measures since I figured with the way I drove it , it would need to be replaced (still had 25% BTW) anyways, between 93K and 112K the TO Bearing was replaced FOUR TIMES! All with for the same issue. After the 4th time I chose to ignore it and adjusted the clutch pedal to where it would stop the squeak but wouldn't disengage the clutch. It totally went away by itself around 120K.

I dont think it could cause stiff shifting unless the clutch fork was put in wrong or misaligned.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
It could and, just because you replaced it with a new one doesn't mean you won't have a problem. My previous 00 V6 ride had 92K miles of problem free driving on the OEM clutch. I had it replaced for precautionary measures since I figured with the way I drove it , it would need to be replaced (still had 25% BTW) anyways, between 93K and 112K the TO Bearing was replaced FOUR TIMES! All with for the same issue. After the 4th time I chose to ignore it and adjusted the clutch pedal to where it would stop the squeak but wouldn't disengage the clutch. It totally went away by itself around 120K.

I dont think it could cause stiff shifting unless the clutch fork was put in wrong or misaligned.
Ok, so what I'm getting from ya is that the TO bearing could just be being a bitch?

Damn, this issue sounds like a problem to be solved by replacing possible suspects... Well here's a piece of info for you too, I was having problems shifting a few weeks ago, the same as now, and it was really bad. Then I slammed it into reverse and BAM loud clunk and shifted fine for a few weeks. Then I took her on the freeway and the issue started up all over again.

I dunno, I will start with a cable. Is is possible for the fork to be misaligned, then realigned then misaligned again, lol?

EDIT

Also, if the TO bearing fails, I assume I should call a tow truck?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Witzy
That's odd, the bearing came with my clutch kit and was replaced. But your answer really only leaves that being the option... Will a faulty bearing effect shifting?

EDIT

From what I know the throw out bearing makes a noise when the clutch it depressed, in my case it only makes noise when no depressed at all? Would a pilot bearing be possible?
incorrect. There is no pressure on the bearing with the clutch engaged, but it's still spinning. Loose internals in the bearing cause the squeal noise, and the slightest touch to the pedal creates pressure on the bearing, effectively tightening it internally and voila, the noise goes away.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Witzy
Ok, so what I'm getting from ya is that the TO bearing could just be being a bitch?

Damn, this issue sounds like a problem to be solved by replacing possible suspects... Well here's a piece of info for you too, I was having problems shifting a few weeks ago, the same as now, and it was really bad. Then I slammed it into reverse and BAM loud clunk and shifted fine for a few weeks. Then I took her on the freeway and the issue started up all over again.

I dunno, I will start with a cable. Is is possible for the fork to be misaligned, then realigned then misaligned again, lol?

EDIT

Also, if the TO bearing fails, I assume I should call a tow truck?
Very unlikely it a TO will fail as in Freeze so you should be fine from that aspect. When you did the clutch, did you inspect the clutch fork?

The "Bam" you heard could've been syncros. Have you checked your tranny fluid for schrapnel?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

I had a similar shifting issue in my car, after I put it on the lift at work I found my culprit. I have an aftermarket quadrant with a stock cable, and the cable itself had about an inch of extra slack to it, at the fork. So as a quick fix, i pulled the cable tight so there was no slack, but made sure that it wasn't too tight, and hoseclamped that bitch in place. Problem solved, until i buy a new adjustable cable.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
incorrect. There is no pressure on the bearing with the clutch engaged, but it's still spinning. Loose internals in the bearing cause the squeal noise, and the slightest touch to the pedal creates pressure on the bearing, effectively tightening it internally and voila, the noise goes away.
Ok, thank you. Makes perfect sence.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Witzy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Very unlikely it a TO will fail as in Freeze so you should be fine from that aspect. When you did the clutch, did you inspect the clutch fork?

The "Bam" you heard could've been syncros. Have you checked your tranny fluid for schrapnel?
From what I observed nothing seemed out of order... Ok, well that's good, one less headache.

Nah, it's not the syncros because like I said, EVERY time I put her in reverse she makes a loud clunk sound and the car slightly shudders. So I shift into gear before I start... It fights me when I put her in reverse, BUT it does that with every other gear too.

Quick Reply: Attempting Diagnosis on Shifting Issue