5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Questions of T-Top mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:33 AM
Zeroto90

Default Questions of T-Top mustangs

I own a 1988 Mustang GT T-top hatch back, and for for sometime now i have wanted to know more information on how a T-Top mustang became a t-top. I am led to believe that all t tops started life as a regular hard top and the roof was later cut and the t top, top was installed. However the odd thing is that there are no exact production number for t top cars, which is curious, yet some try to explain it as simple as dealerships would send hard top cars to shops to have the t tops installed once a customer has requested a t-top car. Confusingly though we know that there were cars that came from the factory as t-tops, and then perhaps the others would be considered non factory dealer installed t-tops? What leads me to believe this is, that ive seen many pictures of cars like mine with t-tops however the mirrors are not like mine, they are the same as the ones youd see on a regular hard top car, but the window frames are cut off the door and just enough of the window frame is left to leave the mirror mounted. My car has the doors like a convertable, without a window frame at all, and the mirrors are mounted about 8 inches from the front of the door and about 2 inches down, no where near where the window frame would be if it had once had one. Also i believe that the cars with the convertable doors were destined to be t top cars from the point that the doors where installed, so they would be in fact the factory t top cars built, as where the other cars where later modified by someone else or a dealership. So my question is this, is this the way you can determine a factory t-top car from a non factory? Or are there just more than one frameless window door design? Im having trouble posting links, but you should all be able to easily find pictures to illustrate what im talking about