5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.
View Poll Results: In your opinion whats best?
Ford Racing
4.55%
Trickflow
50.00%
AFR
36.36%
Ford
0%
Dart
4.55%
Edelbrock
0%
Holley
4.55%
Other
4.55%
Fuel Injected
9.09%
Carb
13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Default heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?

I have not posted in quite some time, I have yet to get accustomed to the site and how everything works. I have been hunched over the keyboard for the last few days screening over heads after heads after heads kit after cam and intake kits. I have even tried call around to the few shops in my town and still have little to go on. I’m through with listening to what all the companies have to say... I have noticed they will say anything to sell a set of heads. I want to know from the customers. What do you think, what’s your opinion? What is the best heads out there? Tell me what you think and your experiences. I want to know the most powerful, the toughest as well as the best bang for your buck. I also want to know what you are running. Tell me everything I should know. Bottom line I want to know what you have to say about your setups and all you’re knowledgeable experiences. Thanks for reading this and even more thanks to those who post their insight. I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:36 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

afr and twisted wedge are the two choices on a stock block

yates would probably be the best head for the large cubic inch stroker motor

I am running e7s and can verify that they are not the best head
Old 08-18-2009, 11:39 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Trick Flow High Ports
Old 08-18-2009, 11:50 PM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

so your saying yates would have a good set of heads say for a 347 but for a 302 choose a set of AFR's or a set of Trickflow's... what do you know about the quality of these heads? i have heard some good about the AFR's how they are a good strong head but what about darts they come in the same sizes but yet dart is so much cheaper is that strickly becouse of quality? I also am curious about what size fuel lines are you running with your 42lb injectors. i myself have been on the verge of steping up to a set of 42lb injectors and want to know if i have to step up the hole fuel system or are stock lines and tank good enough. thanks for the post i will keep doing my research hope to hear back soon thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
Trick Flow High Ports
what makes you choose trickflow high port heads? whats your opinion? what do you have and what do you wanna run? let me know thanks for the post.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:22 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

its hard to beat an afr head as far as out of box quality. They use good parts and are fully cnc ported.

I am running the stock rails with a kirban regulator and a high pressure in tank pump
Your pump size depends on how much fuel your application needs
Old 08-19-2009, 12:23 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simpkins_44
what makes you choose trickflow high port heads? whats your opinion? what do you have and what do you wanna run? let me know thanks for the post.
what made me choose them is the big time drag racers in my area swear by them, Ive seen them on cars going 7.50's, stock displacement 302's up to big inch windsors, there just an all around good head with good parts from TF, they have been in the game for a long time. If you jump on a lot of other mustang boards and type in high ports you always get good feedback. As for my junk its got a 347 stroker, C.I. Billet cam, QMM ported HP's, EFI spyder intake, TKO 600, Built 8.8... I could go on for days
Old 08-19-2009, 12:26 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Here is a place about an hour from here that claims they have the best flowing head for a small block

http://bennettracing.com/Engine%20Pa...%20CANTED.html
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
its hard to beat an afr head as far as out of box quality. They use good parts and are fully cnc ported.

I am running the stock rails with a kirban regulator and a high pressure in tank pump
Your pump size depends on how much fuel your application needs
ya see i knew i would need a new intank unit but i wasnt sure if i needed to run some larger fuel lines to a new set of rails ant then a regulator and...ect so i was just asking somone i though would know thanks. i totaly agree AFR are a good set of heads but is there high price worth it or can i get a cheaper just as good head let me know. thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM
simpkins_44
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by primetime5.0
what made me choose them is the big time drag racers in my area swear by them, Ive seen them on cars going 7.50's, stock displacement 302's up to big inch windsors, there just an all around good head with good parts from TF, they have been in the game for a long time. If you jump on a lot of other mustang boards and type in high ports you always get good feedback. As for my junk its got a 347 stroker, C.I. Billet cam, QMM ported HP's, EFI spyder intake, TKO 600, Built 8.8... I could go on for days
thanks for the post and your opinions and i am personaly interested with the work done to your car.i would also like to know how much you would pay for a set of good heads and what cam would you use. hope to here more from you. thanks for the post.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: heads???? AFR, DART, trickflow, edelbrock, holley... whats best?