5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

88 MUSTANG 5.0 302 problems/help plz

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 PM
McDoogle5.0

Default 88 MUSTANG 5.0 302 problems/help plz

Originally Posted by McDoogle5.0
THIS POST WAS COPIED FROM A SIMILAR WEBSITE, AND DOES BELONG TO ME. TO FILL YOU IN, ABOUT A WEEK AGO I BEGAN EXPERIENCING A SURGING IDLE. MANY PEOPLE INSIST ON VAC LEAKS, AND MANY OTHER POSSIBILITIES. PLEASE READ THE POST[BOOK] ( its actually not that long... ) and help me decide what steps to take next. Thanks to you guys too, i know you will be able to add input.

SURGING IDLE CHECKLIST
-dirty/defective iab
-defective tps [not sure]
-vacuum leaks [not sure; sprayed carb cleaner around & no change in idle ]
-bad o2 sensors [replaced passanger side o2]
-insufficient voltage @ idle [not sure]
-dirty 10-PIN ( TEN PIN ) connector
-dirty/defective maf element
-maf element ( CAI SYSTEM )
-clogged fuel filter [changed;past 7 days
-bad grounds in computer controlled cars [not sure]
-dirty/defective ect and act sensors
-defective pcv'
-mistamatched aftermarket maf/injector sizes [No]
-vss sensor
-egr leaking or partially open [not sure]

I'd like to begin by thanking all who have contributed, and apologise ahead of time for the book of a post. The post contains photos, and videos of my mustang in a struggle against a surging idle / sudden loss in hp & driveability.

Beginning below are three (3) videos containg footage of the mustang in different phases, followed by a series of photographs of the journey, with questions and updates throught the post, and to come still.

McDoogle5.0's 1988 Mustang 5.0 HO ORIGINAL VIDEO of SURGING IDLE / ENGINE START / LOW to HIGH IDLE / ONCE ITS DONE FLIPPING OUT IT IDLES AROUND 500-700 RPM
McDoogle5.0's 1988 Mustang 5.0 HO close up intake area and engine bay. check it out!
McDoogle5.0's 1988 Mustang 5.0 HO RUNNING/IDLE ENGINE BAY INSPECTION. LISTEN AND PLEASE TELL

BEGIN WITH A SHOT OF SOME TOOLS BEING USED SO FAR... nicee

PICTURE TWO CONTAINS A QUESTION REGARDING THE NAME OF A GASKET(S) LOCATED ON THE SECOND REMOVABLE PORTION OF THE THROTTLE BODY ( THE ONE CONTAING THE IAB ) FRONT AND BACK SIDE.
WOULD IT BE WORTH MY TIME TO UNBOLT THE IAB AND CLEAN/INSPECT?
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6392/deleteafter2.jpg

Its true when my buddy told me nobody was going to see all this cleaning up im doing, but i will :P im terrible at it so far and am going to get a few various shaped/sized buffer wheels and smaller flap wheels and get busy on this engine. one problem i have is the inside shell of the engine bay is coated with a protectant/goo to keep the metal shielded, but some of its comeoff/been scraped and i feel like removing it, and then sanding/painting the bay again / black

If theres something ive removed / messed with that i shouldent have or might try to later in this cleanup lemme know, haha

Heres a picture of before :

and another " BEFORE " general shot, boy does it look dirty in there.

ill put another video of the engine running from outside the car overhead the engine, its being processed by vimeo approx 1 hr from now.

if your actually reading all this crap.. than you've noticed ive completley taken apart the throttle body area/maf.. once again if this was dumb please let me know. I have ( the wrong ) gasket ordered and ready to be picked up in the morning, but since i have to wait i will do more cleaning up. I have no idea what those gaskets are called tho, and will try and figure it out tomorrow.

---
Here is what the inside of the throttle body looked like, after two or so hours of stripping the sticky corrupted... agonizing bad gasket from one side, while the other came off in almost one big piece, a few cracks inbetween. Did all the cleaning outside with an overhead lamp at 11pm, felt like James May [topgear] But I did all that with it still soemwhat attacted by EGR and springy throttle stick thingy/connector.

GAVE IT A BIT OF CLEANING. HA, A BIT. MORE LIKE THERE WAS A SLUDGE MONSTER LIVING INSIDE OF THERE! Millimeters thick along the edges of the spring moved plate inside of the body, black.. gunk.
Is this amount of dirt inside there normal? Sorry for all the questions and pictures.

--
Tell me if I'm stupid for gently using a 80-100 grit flapwheel sander with an electric drill.. I haven't " sanded " any threads or close to any edges/gasket holes. If I'm not criticized, i continue with the purchase of smaller ones to get into hard to reach areas.

I still need the buff wheel + compound but im pretty proud of this one, it was like really dirty at first.

Although the screw is rounded, and i want to get that fixed, for a surging idle i do believe number #2 : Defective / Dirty TPS.. so Im pretty sure i should pursue entrance to that sensor, even tho it means vices, punches and drilling the damn screw out...
---------------------------------
---------------------------------

Ive got a little bit more to share, but dont want to bore all of you with all the pictures and babble, but heres a few things ive asked througout the post and felt like updating it.

flopwheel sander on engine parts? yay or nay?

[ABOVE POST] how do i get the mechanic to compensate me / how to correctly threaten him with good " legal " jargan/claims.

Am i a retard? Was this a bad idea ( taking all of this off )

Anything to avoid cleaning / messing with ie: cleaning with toothbrush/wirebrush/wheel

Thanks for reading, and I have to remind you all, soon a second video contaning footage of the mustang being taken apart / t.b inspection / engine area video, will be avaliable to watch as soon as it is done rendering. ( about a half hour from now )

So here are videos of the engine running at idle, a close look at the tps/iab/throttlebody/mass air.. and engine running at idle overhead engine view instead of inside the car. pretty good sound if you turn the speakers up, hope some of you GURU's can tell me just by listening. videos run 19, 60 and is shot from overhead the engine.

McDoogle5.0's 1988 Mustang 5.0 HO ORIGINAL VIDEO of SURGING IDLE / ENGINE START / LOW to HIGH IDLE / ONCE ITS DONE FLIPPING OUT IT IDLES AROUND 500-700 RPM

McDoogle5.0's 88 STANG AIR INTAKE INSPECTION - BAY OVERVIEW - ENGINE OVERHEAD
McDoogle5.0's 88 STANG 5.0 HO ENGINE RUNNING IDLE FOR INSPECTION W/QUALITY SOUND! ENGINE OVERHEAD

REPAIRS IN PAST 7 DAYS:

BEGAN ENGINE CLEANUP OPERATION
REPLACED PASSANGER SIDER EXHAUST o2 SENSOR
REPLACED FUEL FILTER
REPLACED OIL FILTER & OIL
REPLACED ALL SPARK PLUGS
REPLACED MANIFOLD SET ( REPAIR SHOP " SUPPOSEDLY" DID )
REPLACED WIRE SET??? ( REPAIR SHOP .. )
REPLACED DIST CAP AND ROTOR ( AGAIN, SHOP )
REMOVED THROTTLE BODY ALLTOGETHER FOR INSPECTION & CLEANING

TO DO;
FINISH CLEANING T.B AND COMPONANTS; FIGURE OUT THE NAME/ID# OF THE TWO GASKETS I NEED, AND ANY GASKETS I MAY NEED IN THE FUTURE IF I CONTINUE UNBOLTING THINGS TO CLEAN THEM.

REPLACE GASKET

& START WITH NO SURGED IDLE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS GOOD.

BLOG/UPDATE COMPLETE.

update?

I need to know if this engine needs to have an MAS ( mass airflow sensor ) inbetween the airfilter and the intake.. if it is a must or not, or if this is speed density can anyone tell?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i dont see a MAF in the intake tubing, and it doesn't have the correct tube to accept one anyway.

quick way to tell. in your engine picture, to the left of the vacuum tree bolted to the firewall, that black box, thats your MAP sensor. If you have a SD setup, there will be a vacuum line running to it.
Alternatively, if you have a MAF setup, it becomes a BAP sensor with NO vacuum line.

Also, drop $20 and put a new IAC on it. 99% of 5.0 idle problems are from IAC malfunctions, and they are not always cleanable.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:32 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

it is speed density
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
McDoogle5.0

It was a MAP sensor.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

its on the firewall behind the intake its a little black box