5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

cheap road and track car

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Cheap suspension + road racing = buying more suspension
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

See my signature about 'fast stuff cheap............'
Old 08-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Broke Down

well it's pretty self explanatory that you can't have all three for cheap. i figured that some of you would know some easy or cheaper alternatives instead of blowing a ton of cash. i have been around racing for a while...everything from typical drag cars to full out 3,000hp+ mud rails. i have done a lot of suspension work in my time and i have never been around road racing enough to learn some of the better set ups. i was thinking this site was an abundance of info and a great group of guys but i must have over looked something i guess. i have had a few responses that are what i am looking for but some of these post are BS. just cause i'm a newb to your area doesn't mean i'm ignorant to car/racing. thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 08:28 AM
SKAR

None of the posts in this thread are ignorant, be glad you werent told "use the search funtion noob"

If you have more specific questions just ask them, your always going to get an answer here.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Broke Down
thanks. i'm still looking into things as well. i have a friend that races his vette and he's been hounding me about my old mustang. this is going to be some fun. anyone running a cheap adjustable coil over kit? also anyone running a stripped interior? i'd like to see some pics if possible. dash, door panels, etc.
I'm running a coil over suspension kit but I don't know about cheap, it's a d&d kit and works well
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

What kind of budget are you really looking at?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Broke Down

well not a budget really just something cheap i can play with. i want to evolve with it possibly. i work at a fab shop and the sheet metal and fab work would be free. plus some of the roll cage as well. i have some machines we use for mandrel bending. i was just looking for some ideas. i know there is a search key but you don't always get what you want with that. the crowd on this site looks like more drag racing guys than anything the more i look around. sorry to sound harsh. maybe this isn't the site for me. however there are a lot of great looking cars on here and nice set ups as well. thanks guys for the input.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Broke Down

hey guys new to this forum. looks like a great place to be so i may have to hang out. i had a '95 5.0 a while back and now i miss it. so a friend and i are building a cheap track car. i will be using a '94-'04 body with a standard and a carbureted 5.0. so i am open for advice being i never had a track car before. nothing is going to be in the car except for the important things. i will be using a cage also (yeah i drive bad...lol). so throw a few things at me and tell me what some of you are doing for suspension, gears, etc.
thanks. i'm still looking into things as well. i have a friend that races his vette and he's been hounding me about my old mustang. this is going to be some fun. anyone running a cheap adjustable coil over kit? also anyone running a stripped interior? i'd like to see some pics if possible. dash, door panels, etc.
Originally Posted by SKAR
None of the posts in this thread are ignorant, be glad you werent told "use the search funtion noob"

If you have more specific questions just ask them, your always going to get an answer here.
i have. how much more specific do i need to be? do you want me to ask about colors? thickness of metal? who built your car? sorry if you thought i were calling people ignorant i was just stating that people were just throwing companies out there that you just buy a kit and bolt it right up for several thousands of dollars. how is this for specific......Is there anyone on here that has fabricated suspension, dashes, roll cages, modified k-members, sheet metal, or any general modifications for road/track racing? if so i would like to see some pics. thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Lol nice... Yea most people on here are into drag racing more than anything. That is what mustangs are most used for. Especially fox bodies. The normal bolt-ons that you see for drag racing will help in road coarse too. Subframe connectors (fab yourself), strut tower bar (fab yourself), and a panhard bar are good starts. Along with a good springs (H&R) and strut/shock setup.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

here is a really good article that may help https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6-...ion-guide.html

Quick Reply: cheap road and track car