5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

New 4 eye, now not firing on all cylinders...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Default New 4 eye, now not firing on all cylinders...

Well i just bought this car last night, test drive it and it was running great, fast as all hell, pulled strong. NOW, i left it on a trailer all day and when i went to get it off today it wasnt firing on all the cylinders. I think i may have cracked the distributor plastic (it does have a crack) on the ride home because i drove home without the hood bolted on and it didnt have a air filter so i stopped at a gas station and got a plastic bag and tied one around the carb. I dont know what happened. Im pretty sure 2 of the cylinders are down right now. (checked with a spark plug wire puller while it was running) The motor is FRESH, it was first started this past thursday. Its a block from a 89' mustang, stock rods and crank, forged aluminum pistons, gt40 heads, b303 cam, parker web high rise intake, holley 650 double pumper, shorty headers, H pipe, dumps. Pretty much everything on this car is new. Paint is less then a week old. (Im going to buff it this weekend, and the car is not fully assembled in the pics but i have all the pieces to do so), brand new rear end with 4:10 gears, ford center section, 31 spline axles, 5 lug conversion, short throw shifter, frame ties, adjustable caster/camber plates, drag suspension front and back, gauges, ect ect. MY QUESTION: Money is tight! Will i be able to use a stock distributor for the time being with this set up and not have problems? Also i need to change the oil to get all the assembly lube out, whats the best type of oil for the motors first oil change?

Some pics after a quick wet and dry to get some dust off:

Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

stock dist will be fine for now......bull plug wires one by one until you isolate where no load changes/rpm change and there you 'll have the suspect cylinders, from there check the plug and wire
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

nice lookin car, except the backspacing on that rear wheel. you couldn't get a sticker here in MA like that.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
stock dist will be fine for now......bull plug wires one by one until you isolate where no load changes/rpm change and there you 'll have the suspect cylinders, from there check the plug and wire
So i should go ahead and try and find a cheap working distributor and see what happens?

Originally Posted by mattdel
nice lookin car, except the backspacing on that rear wheel. you couldn't get a sticker here in MA like that.
Thanks. Forgot to mention the wheels arnt staying. Im probably going to sell them in favor of drag lites or pro stars, i would like to trade them off for some if anyone wants them and is close.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

you're carbed right, so you'll need a carbed distributor with a vacuum advance, unless you have an ignition setup that has an electronic advance, like an MSD or something, then you're even worse off.

also post pics of this crack.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

what makes you think the dist is the prob??
Old 08-25-2009, 10:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you are SO gonna F'up those fenders the first time you drive that car... pick the front end up a bit... thats TOO low
Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 AM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
you're carbed right, so you'll need a carbed distributor with a vacuum advance, unless you have an ignition setup that has an electronic advance, like an MSD or something, then you're even worse off.

also post pics of this crack.
I will get pictures this afternoon.

Originally Posted by mjr46
what makes you think the dist is the prob??
I dont know? Im looking for ideas of what it could be, 2 or 3 of the wires arnt even sparking, where do i start?

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
you are SO gonna F'up those fenders the first time you drive that car... pick the front end up a bit... thats TOO low

Yeah i know, what the easiest/cheapest way to lift it up a little? The wheels arnt staying anyway...
Old 08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
AntiRiceRacing
2nd Gear Member

Bump any ideas what it could be?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

no spark in the wires leads me to think a problem with the cap.