5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

vibrations at high speeds :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy vibrations at high speeds :(

Yet another problem, sometimes i dislike this sport, anyways I am having a problem with the car vibrating/shaking at speeds over 80mph, it seems like its coming from the front end but not 100% I checked my driveline and all the balancers are still on it and i replaced the harmonic balancer because it had wobble in it and the problem went away than came back real quick, when i go over 80mph its like a big vibration, there is no vibration in the steering wheel when this does happen and you can hear a funny noise like a GGRRRRRRR sound than right when i get under 80mph it goes away, I even tried going over 80mph than pushing the clutch in to let the motor rev down and the problem is still there but only goes away below 80mph, also I Stuck a pry bar underneath the tranny mount and i could fairly easily move the transmission up and down, and I am pretty sure the motor mounts are bad because when i rev it the engine it moves a lot, I also have wore out rear shocks if that could cause a problem, Thanks guys. My car is lowered with sportline springs if this matters

Last edited by kennebellgt; 08-26-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: My car is lowered with sportline springs (if this matters)
Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

check to see if your wheel weights are still on your wheels.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah i forgot to mention i switched wheels from my other stang and the problem is still there so it cant be from the wheels
Old 08-26-2009, 02:46 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

mine does this too. I'm thinking mine is from a little messed up pinion angle from my new trans, but if I were you I'd try replacing the tranny mount first.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:01 PM
kennebellgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
mine does this too. I'm thinking mine is from a little messed up pinion angle from my new trans, but if I were you I'd try replacing the tranny mount first.
any other ideas guys? off topic- how much do you like the canfields? i was going to get those but ended up getting edelbrocks i wonder how much more power i would have if i had gotten those.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Without getting to scientific about this. I'd bet on the driveshaft. Drag racing gears put the driveshaft into some big rpms on the highway.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
any other ideas guys? off topic- how much do you like the canfields? i was going to get those but ended up getting edelbrocks i wonder how much more power i would have if i had gotten those.
I like the canfields they look as if they've got plenty of room for portwork and crap but I just wanna get my car running good before I go any bigger.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:14 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kennebellgt
ALOT.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

What rpm do you pull at 80mph +?
Its not front suspension or front tire balance if you do not feel it in the steering wheel.
Im concerned that when you changed the balancer that it did go away.

Try using a different road, road feel can play a part, but the noise/vibration you are describing does not sound like its the road.

Motor mounts could make a vibration worse, but if you push the clutch in and the vibration does not go away, that means its not just torque related. Its a driveline problem.

Flat spot in the tire(s): normally happen sooner than 80.
Find a shop that has a Road Force tire balancer, that will show a bad spot in the tire.
Pinion angle, you car is lowered, so this is a great possibility.
If it doesnt happen until 80, its not out very far.
stock or aftermarket driveshaft? good u joints?
Have the pinion angle checked and go from there.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
westcoast25

Originally Posted by Jfsram
Without getting to scientific about this. I'd bet on the driveshaft. Drag racing gears put the driveshaft into some big rpms on the highway.
I think you are right, this has happened on two of my Mustangs.

Quick Reply: vibrations at high speeds :(