5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cast GT40 heads....YES or NO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 PM
J's_Cobra

who makes your air cleaner? do you think i would notice a difference in power with the air gap compared to the performer?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:02 PM
J's_Cobra

who makes your air cleaner? do you think i will be able to free up enought HP with an air gap to make it worth the money?
Old 09-06-2009, 07:04 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mine is a oem dual snorkal air cleaner that came on 82-85 mustangs
Old 09-06-2009, 07:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...inished001.jpg
Old 09-06-2009, 07:10 PM
J's_Cobra

that looks good man. i would show you what i have but i dont know how. i read on another forum that you said a custom cam is the way to go. mind explaining a little. im iterested.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

there are very few people who understand how technically cam design and valve timing can be, the cam is the brain of the valve timing meaning when the valves open, how quickly they reach peak lift and the duration of the valve opening and closing. this is just the tip of the iceberg in cam selection, speak with a cam designer and after 10 min you'll be in awe of the complex nature of designing it correctly, OTS cams work okay and most people are content with the prices and average performance they deliver, but when you want to max the potential of a combo, you have the cam designed to satisfy and utilize the max potential of the heads flow capability and intake runner tracks..ect ect...........I just had a cam designed that would give me a good idle and produce good vaccum for brakes and have a lot of lift and work with a stock bottom end.......there isn't an ots cam like the one I had designed that'll take my stock bottom ends potential to the limit without notching pistons and so forth like the one I had designed...at best there are OTS compromises.......www.flowtechinduction.com or www.camshaftinnovvations.com you'll spend more initially, but the tech help is far worth it and they will help you through your build and you'll spend money once on a cam and that's it and you'll know it's best suited to your build
Old 09-06-2009, 07:50 PM
J's_Cobra

so how do i get started? How much more money are we talking about? thanks for the info this is all new to me.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:58 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ed/ flowtech's cams cost 325.00 but be prepaired to upgrade your valvetrain with cam swap, email ED and tell him your combo and what you want the car to do and he'll come back with a design, but as with any cam grinder, you'll have to pay before you get the cam specs email ED = best way, he responds quick.......for jay/camshaft innovations, call him or email and fill out the build sheets in his links and submit....his cams for SADI cores are 300.00 but also expect a valvetrain upgrade........both guys are good , not cheap but performance isn't cheap
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
J's_Cobra

when you say valve train upgrades what are you talking about? i have 1 peice stainless valves with roller rockers. i have not bought springs yet because i dont know what cam i will use. how long does it take to get the cams after order? You say you will never go back to a regular cam right?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by J's_Cobra
when you say valve train upgrades what are you talking about? i have 1 peice stainless valves with roller rockers. i have not bought springs yet because i dont know what cam i will use. how long does it take to get the cams after order? You say you will never go back to a regular cam right?
springs , locks and retainers = valvetrain upgrade/ matched to cam, last cam I orders 2 weeks once I had all the details worked out and paid...last question = correct = they are more qualified to make the design / choice based on their expertise

Quick Reply: Cast GT40 heads....YES or NO?