5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Good Fuses, NO dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 AM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

I never fixed it. =/
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM
mightymustang88

Default 88 2.3 no power to dashboard

ok the issue im having is that i have no power to my dash a wire broke off the solenoid and i found a orange wire with blk stripe and a blk with yellow stripe meltd they go to a tiny black box under the dash i have no clue what is wrong with my fave car and i really need it to run again i have power to the solenoid but nothing to the dash or starter or fuel pump or ignition pls help
Old 01-21-2020, 02:42 PM
Wade Motter

Originally Posted by mightymustang88
ok the issue im having is that i have no power to my dash a wire broke off the solenoid and i found a orange wire with blk stripe and a blk with yellow stripe meltd they go to a tiny black box under the dash i have no clue what is wrong with my fave car and i really need it to run again i have power to the solenoid but nothing to the dash or starter or fuel pump or ignition pls help
I have the same problem if you find out what's wrong please let me know
Old 01-25-2020, 09:26 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wade Motter
I have the same problem if you find out what's wrong please let me know
Its usually best to start your own thread,especially when one is this old.However I'll mention a few things.

Im basing the info below on you stating you have the same problems as the member you quoted in your post & if thats the case,Im assuming your dash warning lights,starter, fuel and ignition components are currently not functioning,correct??? If yes,the info below should help.If the dash lights you're referring to that are not working are the bulbs that come on only when the headlight switch is turned on for dark/nighttime driving conditions,the info below is not valid for those lights.However,if you're referring to the dash warning lights instead,like the brake/ cel/charge indicator light/etc,the items Ive mentioned below are still valid since these warning lights only function when the key is turned on.
The fender mounted solenoid has numerous wires,with fusible links,that come off of it.The ignition switch receives its power from one of these wires (yellow wire) and since the ignition switch (either directly or indirectly) powers all of the components you mentioned that are not working,power not reaching the switch (due to an issue with the yellow wire or its fusible link) means the ignition switch wont function so neither will anything else that the switch powers.The ignition switch diagram at the bottom shows which wires belong to which components & how they're routed between the solenoid & ignition switch,so none of those will work if the switch isnt receiving power or the switch itself is faulty (which is a very common problem on the Foxbody) The yellow wire at the solenoid stud feeds 4 seperate wires with fusible links,as seen in the diagram below.I would remove the steering column trim to access the ignition switch then test the two yellow wires at the switch (key off) If 12v isnt present,the yellow wire between the solenoid and the ignition switch is open or its fusible link is blown (you can test the wire for voltage on each side of the fusible link by piercing it with a needle on each side of the link then touching your meter probes between ground & each needle seperately. 12v should be present on each side of the link,if its good) If you're getting 12v at the switch through both yellow wires,check the black/orange (87-90) yellow (91-93) wire with the dk blue 20ga fusible link coming off the solenoid thats heading towards the firewall & ECU.It should have 12v.If it doesn't,the wire is open or the fusible link is blown.If the items above check out ok,test the red/green wire & the white/pink wire at the ignition switch.

Red/Green= 12v
Key On/Engine Off
Key On/Engine Running
Key in start position

White/Pink= 12v
Key in start position

If 12v is present at red/green wire & 12v was also present on the black/orange wire,but the dash lights/starter/fuel/ignition components are not working,the EEC relay is likely at fault,since the black/orange & red/green wires are used to power the EEC relay (the eec relay is located above the ecu & the pass dash speaker can be removed for easier access) If 12v isnt present on the red/green wire,the ignition switch itself is defective.The white/pink wire can also be tested.It should show 12v with the key in the start position only.The switch is also bad if the white/pink wire doesn't test good voltage wise.

So to recap,the solenoid powers the ignition switch through the yellow wire & the black/ orange and red/green wires power the EEC relay & the EEC relay powers the ECU, injectors,fuel pump relay,actuators & smog/evr solenoids.Basically every component you see on the wiring diagram below,that has the red vpwr wire attached to it,is powered by the EEC relay.So if the EEC relay is not working,every one of those items will stop working too.

Last edited by wbrockstar; 01-26-2020 at 08:15 PM.