5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What Size Push Rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by sgarrelts01
So your saying those 6.400 rods will work with that 351 cam i posted.

This one http://www.jegs.com/i/Comp+Cams/249/35-330-3/10002/-1#
your making this way to complicated, fyi you don't order push rods until your ready to measure for them= cam in and valvetrain set up.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Liv2roc

the pushrods I posted http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-7819-16/ is for a small center bore retro cam.
not a flat tapped cam.
get the spider retro kit, stock roller lifters ,a small center bore cam and the pushrods I posted.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:38 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

once again!!! PUSHRODS MUST BE MEASURED FOR WHEN USING AFTERMARKET CAMS AND VALVETRAIN COMPONENTS,,,,, NOT ASSUMED, there are to many inconsistancies in blocks , heads and machining tolerances to assume a length should work , irregardless of what a manufactorer states
Old 09-27-2009, 01:56 AM
sgarrelts01
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
once again!!! PUSHRODS MUST BE MEASURED FOR WHEN USING AFTERMARKET CAMS AND VALVETRAIN COMPONENTS,,,,, NOT ASSUMED, there are to many inconsistancies in blocks , heads and machining tolerances to assume a length should work , irregardless of what a manufactorer states
I ordered the cam, and also ordered the push rod checker. Not a chance in hell that i would order Push rods online, there is a big performance shop by me Lane Automotive, that way if by some chance we measured wrong i could take them back an get some different ones.

Its getting close to the time to put the car up. I haven't even got a chance to drive it.

I don't know if i really want too lol. I know if i don't hit the 300hp mark i am going to be very pissed off. That was my goal and i spent to much time and money to not hit that mark.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:22 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I ordered the cam, and also ordered the push rod checker. Not a chance in hell that i would order Push rods online, there is a big performance shop by me Lane Automotive, that way if by some chance we measured wrong i could take them back an get some different ones.

Its getting close to the time to put the car up. I haven't even got a chance to drive it.

I don't know if i really want too lol. I know if i don't hit the 300hp mark i am going to be very pissed off. That was my goal and i spent to much time and money to not hit that mark.
good deal...glad you understand the importance of measuring, some still don't though...that's why I stress it
Old 09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
sgarrelts01
1st Gear Member

good deal...glad you understand the importance of measuring, some still don't though...that's why I stress it
I was just asking to get a good understand of what the ranges would be.

If i just went and bought Push Rods my dad would smack in the head lol. When i told him i ordered the cam today he was bitching about the push rods saying i better have not ordered them lol.

Another Question so i don't have to open a new thread.

Do you think its possible for me to have hit the 300hp mark, i probably won't get it dynoed until spring.

I have the 331 stroker, Keith Black Flat Top pistons, GT-40 aluminum heads ported and polished, i have a Typhoon intake top an bottom both ported. 1.6 magnum roller rockers, double springs, Comp Cam 292 duration with .512 lift.
24lbs injectors, bbk equal length headers, bbk xpipe, no cats. 70mm throttle body, 75mm maf, cold air intake, aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears. Short throw shifter, forget the name of the clutch but its good up to like 500 or 600 lbs of torque.

Assuming it runs right with no power loss anywhere, should i be able to hit 300 at the rear tires.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

BTW, when mocking up things to measure pushrod length, use a head gasket (old one is fine) between the block and the head. That way things come out 'dead nuts'.........
Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I was just asking to get a good understand of what the ranges would be.

If i just went and bought Push Rods my dad would smack in the head lol. When i told him i ordered the cam today he was bitching about the push rods saying i better have not ordered them lol.

Another Question so i don't have to open a new thread.

Do you think its possible for me to have hit the 300hp mark, i probably won't get it dynoed until spring.

I have the 331 stroker, Keith Black Flat Top pistons, GT-40 aluminum heads ported and polished, i have a Typhoon intake top an bottom both ported. 1.6 magnum roller rockers, double springs, Comp Cam 292 duration with .512 lift.
24lbs injectors, bbk equal length headers, bbk xpipe, no cats. 70mm throttle body, 75mm maf, cold air intake, aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 gears. Short throw shifter, forget the name of the clutch but its good up to like 500 or 600 lbs of torque.

Assuming it runs right with no power loss anywhere, should i be able to hit 300 at the rear tires.
your dad knows then.....as for hitting the 300 mark ...if you don't that 331 has a serious issue, your heads and cam choice are less than desirable IMO, but should get you there
Old 09-27-2009, 08:54 PM
sgarrelts01
1st Gear Member

your dad knows then.....as for hitting the 300 mark ...if you don't that 331 has a serious issue, your heads and cam choice are less than desirable IMO, but should get you there
I paid 600 for the heads, intake, and a e303 cam.

When winter rolls around, i am going to get a set of trick flow heads and have some work done to them.

What kind of Cam do you suggest.

Hopefully by end of next summer i will have everything roller back in it. But right now i just want to get it to run.

That way i can sell my gt-40 heads, cam, old cam and lifters and intake and get the roller set up.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the only way to go for cam choice imo for a stroker is have a custom one designed.....there just aren't many ots cams out there to choose from for a stroker

Quick Reply: What Size Push Rods