5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with technicalities of 347 build please

Old 10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Giants25al

Default Need help with technicalities of 347 build please

Hey guys this is my first post here and looking for some help before my mind explodes. I'm a previous owner of 2 foxbodies and an 03 GT and always wanted to do a project but never had the funds. Well Funds way way better now and I just purchased a 90 GT hatch rolling chassis in EXCELLENT condition and i'm about to start the building process of the block. The problem i'm having is the more reaserch I do the more confused I get lol. The block I got is out of a 74 or 75 Van so i'm sure its not a roller block which i'm not really concerned about. What I keep reading is like different years of blocks have different deck heights and all I believe??, Ive even seen where the pistons where stickin up a lil high on the deck, although a taller gasket fixed the issue. Is this something I need to be concerned about or can I basically find a rotating assembly that I like and order it, I'm lookin for about 400whp in a streetable set up. Funds aren't really an issue but i wanna make sure i can drive it around on the street still. The stroker kit i'm interested in is this one from summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-1-94165/
Should I have any issues with this?? My last question involves the heads, How do i determine the proper heads to get to stay away from clearence issues, I plan on using a moderate lift cam, Nothing crazy but just a nice overall cam. Also I wanna stay in the 93 octane range so I don't wanna go over around 10 to 1 compression. AFR or Edelbrock performer RPM heads seem to be what i'll go with, Any help guys is much appreciated before I start purchasing parts that I can't use
Old 10-06-2009, 05:55 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Giants25al
The problem i'm having is the more reaserch I do the more confused I get lol.
That's normal... dont sweat it.

The block I got is out of a 74 or 75 Van so i'm sure its not a roller block which i'm not really concerned about.
definitly NOT a roller block if it is infact a 302, and if it is infact the original block

What I keep reading is like different years of blocks have different deck heights and all I believe??, Ive even seen where the pistons where stickin up a lil high on the deck, although a taller gasket fixed the issue.
thats the 351w's. the 69-70 block had a 9.480" deck height, the 71+ was 9.5"
You shouldnt have that problem if you can find a virgin (not rebuilt... ever) block

Is this something I need to be concerned about or can I basically find a rotating assembly that I like and order it, I'm lookin for about 400whp in a streetable set up. Funds aren't really an issue but i wanna make sure i can drive it around on the street still. The stroker kit i'm interested in is this one from summit
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-1-94165/
Not a bad looking kit. I run scat rods and a scat crank in my 347, but im using Probe SRS Pistons

Should I have any issues with this?? My last question involves the heads, How do i determine the proper heads to get to stay away from clearence issues, I plan on using a moderate lift cam, Nothing crazy but just a nice overall cam. Also I wanna stay in the 93 octane range so I don't wanna go over around 10 to 1 compression. AFR or Edelbrock performer RPM heads seem to be what i'll go with, Any help guys is much appreciated before I start purchasing parts that I can't use
Run a 195-205CC head of a quality brand. Edelbrock Victor 210cc heads are awesome, so are the TFS FAC heads, Canfield 195CNC and AFR 185-205CNC head. RHS heads are good quality, flow like a mother****er, but have "other" issues, which can be dealt with.
AVOID Patriot, and Pro Comp heads!!!

Also, im running 11.25:1 on 93 octane... dont be worried about the ~10:1 area

And as far as the cam goes.. a Custom is preferable, but the Comp Cams XE line cams are great, so are the XFI ones.. My custom grind is very similar to the XFI236.. just to give you an idea of what to run
Old 10-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Giants25al

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
That's normal... dont sweat it.

definitly NOT a roller block if it is infact a 302, and if it is infact the original block

thats the 351w's. the 69-70 block had a 9.480" deck height, the 71+ was 9.5"
You shouldnt have that problem if you can find a virgin (not rebuilt... ever) block

Not a bad looking kit. I run scat rods and a scat crank in my 347, but im using Probe SRS Pistons

Run a 195-205CC head of a quality brand. Edelbrock Victor 210cc heads are awesome, so are the TFS FAC heads, Canfield 195CNC and AFR 185-205CNC head. RHS heads are good quality, flow like a mother****er, but have "other" issues, which can be dealt with.
AVOID Patriot, and Pro Comp heads!!!

Also, im running 11.25:1 on 93 octane... dont be worried about the ~10:1 area

And as far as the cam goes.. a Custom is preferable, but the Comp Cams XE line cams are great, so are the XFI ones.. My custom grind is very similar to the XFI236.. just to give you an idea of what to run
Hey thanks man this helps alot. I'll take a look at those head choices you gave me and see whats up with prices and all. So far i'm leaning toards the AFR 185's with a comp cam. When I search for cams and lifters and rockers and stuff do I just avoid roller products and stick with Hydraulic ? Maybe i'm wrong but I can still go with Roller Rockers without having a roller block correct? The guy that has the block waiting for me said it was a 302 block and he's a motor head so i'm assuming he knows. I'll try to get some casting numbers i'm sure that would help out alot. Thanks again man, I need to post some pics of the cars current condition just so I can track my progress and steps
Old 10-06-2009, 08:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

a full rollerized valvetrain is perferable
Old 10-06-2009, 09:33 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

casting numbers are nice, but a nice clear pic from the front of the engine works well too
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

That kit don't look bad but you'll need to have it balanced using your dampner and flywheel/flexplate.
You'll also need to notch the very bottom of the cylinders for clearance around the rods.
TMD in Riverside, CA sells a neat tool for this........