5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

1988 5.0 LX having trouble with turn signals

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Fordmonger

Default 1988 5.0 LX having trouble with turn signals

I have an 88' 5.0 LX and the turn signals won't work. The hazards and parking lights work just fine so i figure it must be the flasher unit under the dash. When i attempted to replace the flasher unit i couldn't find it anywhere and can't seem to trace it down (i did find the flasher unit for the hazard lights on the back of the fuse block under the dash)...could anyone just help me confirm where the location of the flasher unit is please, thanks.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Going off of memory here- the 1988 Mustang still used a mechanical flasher unit- should look like a small round cylinder. Usually the flasher unit is located near one of the fuse panels- or plugged into the panel. It seems like you found it. It makes a nice clicking sound when operating.

If the hazards are flashing- I would assume that the flasher unit is fine.

There should be a fuse label TURN. Make sure it's not blown. If it is, it could mean there's another problem. If it's fine, continue below.

I would make sure that there's voltage leaving the turn signal switch, sometimes called a combination switch. Often times, if there's power for the brake lights, but nothing for the turn signals- this switch is to blame (the one located behind the steering wheel).
Old 10-12-2009, 06:05 PM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Isn't there one on the front of the fuse panel up in the corner? I'm too lazy to go out and look at my 88
If not the flasher, then it could be the multifunction switch in the column.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 PM
7 UP Mustang
1st Gear Member

My 90 Mustang has the two flashers, and the one by the fuse panel was the emergency flashers. The turn signal flasher looks about the same but it was over close to the glove box under the dash. Not really easy to find, but with a flash light you should see it. Mine was bad; hope that helps!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 PM
Fordmonger

Great, I'll check all of that stuff out...thanks very much everyone.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:39 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I had the EXACT same problem with my 92 GT a few months ago. If your flasher is NOT by the fuse box it will be behind the glove box. Just open it up, pull the two tabs on the left and right inward....the box will drop down and the flasher is located on the left.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Julian Whittle

Default 1988 Ford Mustang

[QUOTE=socalwrench;6563988]Going off of memory here- the 1988 Mustang still used a mechanical flasher unit- should look like a small round cylinder. Usually the flasher unit is located near one of the fuse panels- or plugged into the panel. It seems like you found it. It makes a nice clicking sound when operating.

If the hazards are flashing- I would assume that the flasher unit is fine.

There should be a fuse label TURN. Make sure it's not blown. If it is, it could mean there's another problem. If it's fine, continue below.

I would make sure that there's voltage leaving the turn signal switch, sometimes called a combination switch. Often times, if there's power for the brake lights, but nothing for the turn signals- this switch is to blame (the one located behind the steering wheel).[/QUOTE

1988 mustang gt back blinkers work front blinkers don’t . What could be the fix?
Old 01-12-2020, 10:12 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I have the same issue. Once the car is started, I have to slightly move the key cylinder back. I am guessing my ignition connector might be the issue. I havent troubleshoot it yet. I will soon.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:09 PM
wbrockstar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang88
I have the same issue. Once the car is started, I have to slightly move the key cylinder back. I am guessing my ignition connector might be the issue. I havent troubleshoot it yet. I will soon.
If the key is not automatically springing back into the run position once you release it from the start position,the ignition switch is likely bad vs the lock cylinder.The switch is a very common failure item on the Foxbody.It has a spring inside of it that makes the key spring back into the run position from the start position.It powers everything shown in the diagram at the bottom too.

How the ignition lock cylinder is intermingled with the ignition switch:
The lock cylinder meshes with a aluminum actuator rod,which has a pin on it that engages with a hole in the ignition switch. When you rotate the key,it moves that rod which in turn moves a sliding mechanism on the ignition switch between its various positions & this movement is what makes the switch supply voltage to various components depending on what position the key is in such as the accessory,run,start position.The link further down details its replacement.

If you still need to replace the ignition key lock cylinder,remove the steering column trim,insert the ignition key into the lock cylinder,turn the key to the run position,use a paperclip or similar and insert it into the pin hole underneath the lock cylinder and push up on it slightly as you grab ahold of the lock cylinder & slide it out of the column.To install the new one,insert the key into the lock cylinder,turn it to the run position,slide it into the steering column,turn the key back to the off/lock position and the lock cylinder will lock into place.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/5657​​​​​​

Last edited by wbrockstar; 01-18-2020 at 10:47 PM.