5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Crankcase Evac Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Crankcase Evac Pump

Are any of you turbo or blower guys running crankcase evac pump systems? I have a NA 383W in the 550-600ft*lbs range that is driving me nuts with crankcase pressure over 6000. I know this is a classic, but no one on that forum plays with street motors like this. I have run EGRs, breathers, header evac bungs. They all do about the same. I get some oil spray at high rpm and seal leakage when I spin it up. It is fine under normal cruise levels, but who drives all day like that . I want to throw in the towel and go with a vacuum pump and canister, but do not know what pump will last on the street. I run this car about 150 miles at a time and put 3-4k miles on it a year.

What have you run? What lasted?

Thanks a bunch for any help you can give.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I found some info on an electric Ford pump, but it does not like to see oil, which seems worthless to me. I tried to call Moroso to get some idea of service interval on their vacuum pumps, but could never get in contact with someone.

Any ideas are welcome.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

How small are your lines/ valve cover port right now? I would definitely recommend the catch can. Probably not the vacuum pump though.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

i run a header evac kit on mine. uses exhaust pulses to pull pressure out of the crankcase. i had a small oil leak at the rear main before i put it on, hasnt dripped a single drop of oil since
Old 10-20-2009, 01:35 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I am running AN-12 line from the valve covers to the evac bungs. Even with the one way valves, there is very little suction on the lines. I thought about the catch can route, but that does very little to help the oil vapor from pushing out other places. Thus my thoughts on a vacuum pump.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
i run a header evac kit on mine. uses exhaust pulses to pull pressure out of the crankcase. i had a small oil leak at the rear main before i put it on, hasnt dripped a single drop of oil since
If you look at a lot of the high power drag cars, like A and AA gassers as well as the larger fuel cars(so we're talking about 1,500-8,000hp cars) that's how they all do it. And if anyone would have trouble with crankcase pressure, they would.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Here is my set up

Old 10-20-2009, 05:08 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
If you look at a lot of the high power drag cars, like A and AA gassers as well as the larger fuel cars(so we're talking about 1,500-8,000hp cars) that's how they all do it. And if anyone would have trouble with crankcase pressure, they would.
True, but those guys are running open headers or straight pipe which does not create any back pressure. The velocity of the exhaust causes a vacuum on the bung. Along with crankcase pressure, this forces the oily gas into the exhaust pipe. I have a big free flowing exhaust, but since I have to run mufflers to be street legal it still has some back pressure. In speaking with Moroso, they said that is why header evac systems do not work well with muffler exhaust...back pressure kills the suction on the bung.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:33 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

There are a bunch of guys running header evac systems on the street without issue. You'd have to either install the fitting incorrectly, or have a ridiculously restrictive exhaust.

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/street-pump-kits.html This is the way to do it, but you're spending a lot of money doing it.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:53 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

What happens when you run the valve covers without the one way valve or exhaust bung? The reason for the vacuum isn't to help pull it out at wot, it's to help ventilate while under cruise conditions. Your backpressure should be very low at cruise rpm & that's the only situation where you need the vacuum. Why do you have both valve covers going to evac bungs with one way valves? I would try running one with an evac setup & one open to air.

Just curious, where is the oil coming out of?

Last edited by FoxGT; 10-20-2009 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Crankcase Evac Pump