5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

A few questions (Wiring, starting)

Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Bullitt520

Default A few questions (Wiring, starting)

Hey guys I've been at college the past couple months so I don't get much time to work on the fox. Regardless, the problems I was having this summer are even harder to figure out when I'm here and not able to work on the car. So I was wondering if you guys could help me with a few problems so the small amount of time I do get to work on the car will be much more effective.

1) Wiring of fuel pump and MSD. I have both of these accessories wired directly off the battery and run with relays and switches. Both work perfectly butI was wondering where I would wire them to so I they would only get power when the key was on, not just whenever I flip the switch. I was thinking the fuse box, but I dont know what fuses to remove in order to wire them.

2) E Fan and Starter.... Ive tried to wire the E Fan the same way as I did the Fuel Pump and MSD. Yet I cant get the fuses to stop blowing. I also would like to move this power off the battery and somewhere else but I was wondering what amp relay I should be using. Whenever I put the power wire on the battery the fuse in between the battery and relay blows immediately.
They starter does not fire with the key alone so I installed a starter push switch. Whenever I press the switch, the fuse in between the power source and the switch blows. Should I wire a relay for this switch as well? Or what can I do to get the key to work with the starter? Everything works except the key doesn't even make the relay click. Solenoid is brand new too.

3) When the motor cranks, I am getting blow back through the Carb. I've heard it is either the cam or distributor being 180 degrees out. How do I install the dizzy so the car will start and run enough to get it tuned?

My motor is a 302 to a 306 with a b cam and e6 heads

How much would it cost to get a set of e7 heads and have them ported to flow as well as gt40p heads? I was planning to buy a set of gt40p heads but am leaning towards ported e7's as a result of the header issue. How much am I looking to gain over the e6's with a set of ported e7's with rr's? If I bought a set of bare ported e7's will the valves, springs retainers and pushrods work with the new heads?

Thanks in advance for any help. I know its a lot but its extremely frustrating having an unfinished project sitting at home.

Thanks, Colin
Old 10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
johndeeregreen
1st Gear Member

yea sounds to me like you need to rip all of it out and start fresh you can get all the wriing diagrams on veryuseful.com just make sure that you only use one "L" on the end they have all kinds of usefull stuff on there and if you like me the laptop is right there when you are working on the car. Its the best chiltons manual yet..... Aside all that if you can find the green and red wire in the harness that comes threw the firewall on the driver side you could run a distribution block and hook your acc up to that and they will come on with the key that is how mine are ran and they all work and have no problems out of any of them.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:04 AM
Bullitt520

Thanks a lot man. SO i should run everything off of the red and green wire? That shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks alot man!